• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving tank to lay new flooring, help!

Adam Dunkley

Hello everyone, any ideas/tips or anyone done this before ?
I need to move the tank to a safe place to rip up old carpet, latex and lay hard flooring.
Tank is a rio 125, planted with fish and co2 injection.

Yes I had hardwood flooring fitted underneath my tank many years ago.

- I drained tank as low as fish'ily possible into large 40l (from Asda) buckets.
- Two of us moved tank to other side of room.
  • Cut all carpet around tank to leave tank on a pad of old carpet.
  • Refilled with the water.
  • Floor fitters glued flooring upto tank.
  • Left for a couple of days, whilst they did the rest of the flooring.
  • Emptied tank into buckets.
  • Moved tank to new place on new flooring.
  • Refilled with water.
  • Floor fitters fitted rest of floor.

Done.

I moved a 200 litre once to lay new floor, simply lowered the water so the fish had just enough and 2 of us carried the tank and stand into the hallway, filled it up and plugged it in and done the same process putting it back. Easy Peasy lemon squeezy

Get something you can syphon water in that’s big enough to hold all the water

Put it next to where the tank is going
Cheap option are paddling pools

You can either Empty tank as low as possible small fish will be ok in an inch of water or
Catch fish and empty it completely
Put fish in bucket for now
Garden hose is great as a temp syphon

Remove heaters and accessories from tank so nothing can hit the glass or be broken
If you have any heavy rocks that could move and break the tank then wedge them in place with some polystyrene

I would lift tank off cabinet onto a table etc
I wouldn’t move cabinet with tank on it as they aren’t the strongest things and are not designed for sideways movements

Move tank to temp location
Fill from paddling pool
Put fish back in

Make sure you have enough strong helpers to lift the tank

You can even lift it onto some lengths of would that you placed onto the table make them longer than the tank & table (cross pieces to secure them together, like a stretcher) this will make it easier to carry the tank especially through doorways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A method I have used is to get some hardboard I think it's only about 4mm thick, ideally the stuff with one side shiney surface. If the cabinet has feet lift on to the sheet then slide along the board until you reach its final destination then lift up and get someone to pull the board from under it. Obviously remove as much water as you can prior and secure any rocks that could fall over.

Back