• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Hardscape Layout Suggestions!

gabriel.basso

Hey guys, I've been working on this layout for my 90P recently. What do you think about it?

These stones were in a smaller tank I had, so I think maybe I should get bigger ones for this tank.

Cheers!
a107ce576bbe2c0d10092f42aed89f59.jpg
93b73cd975c388171cd4811fc452fca2.jpg
d1bd75e8bbce21fc58ca81127eebeb0a.jpg

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

90p can be hard/expensive to scape because you need big rocks. Look my iwagumi 128l for example. Could be better by bigger rocks but couldn't find them. Also don't make the mistake to scape from left to right a.k.a. The family photo. Work from front to back with Stones.

Definitely get bigger stones it makes the scape much "better". At least a big bad ass main stone that is 2/3 of the height.

I like the position of the stones but the stones are not interesting they are relative flat and don't have nice texture IMO.

Inspiration
scape_3.png

upload picture

scape_4.png

upload picture

scape_5.jpg

upload picture

scape_6.jpg

upload picture

Last edited:
90p can be hard/expensive to scape because you need big rocks. Look my iwagumi 128l for example. Could be better by bigger rocks but couldn't find them. Also don't make the mistake to scape from left to right a.k.a. The family photo. Work from front to back with Stones.

Definitely get bigger stones it makes the scape much "better". At least a big bad ass main stone that is 2/3 of the height.

I like the position of the stones but the stones are not interesting they are relative flat and don't have nice texture IMO.

Inspiration
scape_3.png

upload picture

scape_4.png

upload picture

scape_5.jpg

upload picture

scape_6.jpg

upload picture
Thanks for your comments Nigel!
You are totally right on the size of the rocks. It will be so much more proportional to the size of the tank.

I'll try to find bigger rocks around on local fish stores... Not an easy task though.

Here at my town there are only a couple fish stores I could find them and they usually overprice these hardscape items (rocks and roots)

Maybe I'll find them on gardening stores at a good price.

Cheers!

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

Hey guys,

I couldn't find big stones for a iwagumi so I gathered some wood I had and made this.

It's kind of a nature scape. I'm planning to plant every space on it. Carpet on the front and middle areas and taller plants on the back.

What do you think?

Cheers
0ff4d555b6826edd9e7e689c956455fa.jpg
28a2284a9a24ae942c659dcb09799410.jpg
b80bf3815837d3a751124a776f1c4425.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On the right, I'd swap out the big rock at the back and place it at the front-right. And the two smaller rocks currently front-right, I'd place at the back.

I think this has a lot of potential. Moss on the arch might be the to go, hm back left and tight. After that I'm not too sure.

Gabriel

As you can see I have suggest some big changes.
All those small rocks look out of place and could be covered over by your planting.
The wide pathway divided you tank in half the DW does help but the central pathway is the concern.
All you can do is try my suggestions and see how it looks as you are the only one who can see the over all tank as all we have is just a flat photo.

All the rocks with the red X move to the area where I have suggested make a pile yet make it look natural not every rock carefully placed.

Move the large rock to where I have pointed will it look OK ???
If that does not look OK move the two larger rocks now front RH corner.
No position the large rock at the back to where the two rocks were.
By doing that you have started to get some perspective in you tank.

Once you have tried those moves and are happy its work on a shaped pathway.

Keith:wave::wave:

On the right, I'd swap out the big rock at the back and place it at the front-right. And the two smaller rocks currently front-right, I'd place at the back.

I think this has a lot of potential. Moss on the arch might be the to go, hm back left and tight. After that I'm not too sure.
Thanks for your comments Dantrasy! I will try to move the big rock to the front as you mentioned and see how it looks.

My idea is to use moss on the arch and in some other parts of the driftwood. Haven't decided yet what kind of moss though.

After I make the changes on the layout I will post the pictures.

BTW I've seen some of your tanks here on UKAPS and wow they are amazing! Congrats!

Thanks again!

Gabriel

As you can see I have suggest some big changes.
All those small rocks look out of place and could be covered over by your planting.
The wide pathway divided you tank in half the DW does help but the central pathway is the concern.
All you can do is try my suggestions and see how it looks as you are the only one who can see the over all tank as all we have is just a flat photo.

All the rocks with the red X move to the area where I have suggested make a pile yet make it look natural not every rock carefully placed.

Move the large rock to where I have pointed will it look OK ???
If that does not look OK move the two larger rocks now front RH corner.
No position the large rock at the back to where the two rocks were.
By doing that you have started to get some perspective in you tank.

Once you have tried those moves and are happy its work on a shaped pathway.

Thanks for your time and suggestions Keith! I really like the changes you mentioned!

I'm concerned about giving some more perspective to this tank. And positioning the bigger stone to the front might work. Doing this I'll be able to position the driftwood diagonally from the back right to the front left direction of the tank. I guess it will help with the perspective as well.

I'm thinking about maybe using sand on the pathway to make it more "obvious".

I will make these changes on the haedscape and post here the pictures.

Thanks again!

gabriel
I'm thinking about maybe using sand on the pathway to make it more "obvious".

Please do not as it will divide the tank into three sections with no connection.
bj6v_specialpathwayedited-1.jpg

For your pathway I was thinking along these lines the very natural appeal, in your case the RH side will be practically a solid wall of rocks.

Keep one or two of the small rocks or get a few more to be smashed up to scatter along the edges and over/on the pathway.

gabriel

Please do not as it will divide the tank into three sections with no connection.
bj6v_specialpathwayedited-1.jpg

For your pathway I was thinking along these lines the very natural appeal, in your case the RH side will be practically a solid wall of rocks.

Keep one or two of the small rocks or get a few more to be smashed up to scatter along the edges and over/on the pathway.

I guess you've got point there Keith.

And I completely agree with you on smashing some rocks, great idea... it will sure bring a natural feel to the tank.

I appreciate your insights Keith!

Cheers!

Hey guys, I'm really sorry.
I just realized this topic should be under Aquascaping, right?
It's not a journal YET.
Can any moderator move it there please?
thanks.
Gabriel

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

There you go the pics after I made the final changes on the layout.

I drilled some stones to get smaller pieces and used them to give a more natural aspect and also to delineate the pathway.

I thought about spreading those small pieces in other areas of the tank but since it is going to be fully planted there was no reason to do this.

Waiting for your comments...

Cheerss
0eb6d74bb74c4da23f5756d8a7403f57.jpg
06d749aa47af3ae1e41b8a2124517f7a.jpg
e1e54debb5514cf89f41f0a4c41cbb03.jpg
13ea741a26e93553ba1453993aad05b8.jpg

Final and definitive layout.... it was really fun doing this but if I don't stop I will keep changing things forever lol.

Time to plant, I will create a journal for this soon.

Cheers!
c14f811e3d7377cdf4ec3a16647cc90f.jpg
38557f0cdef63ccab7a00b03dfee3edf.jpg
976184cb92f5f0e19ce9dc987e463afb.jpg
7135ebf9e546fd8910f8f2ae82b377ec.jpg
91839482d78baf4dfc8f9c00a14a2b6d.jpg

gabriel.basso

Overall you have a very strong and bold Aquascape every thing "must" blend in with each other other wise it will look less than average.
You have a good structure to work with. Plan every thing carefully and take it slowly. Try to avoid any unnecessary distractions.

Here is one some might say its only minor but it is a distraction any way.

The substrate level at the front has a slight hollow and before you get into the details of your Aquascape you eye flow has already followed that curve.

Level it of please and you will see the result immediately.

People who know me will tell you I have a very sharp design eye. It has to be as its the only one I have.

Back