• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mountain Range

No more messing about, going with the last scape, it's time to start setting up tank. First pic possible flow setup, the rest don't really need any explantion. I would have done video but camera were flat. Don't be distracted by the state of the glass ( I hate it), but thats what happens when you dont check properly before buying used, I may try and polish it out next time but the only good thing is when its filled most of it can't be seen. It will probably be replaced with a regular shape possibly a 900.

20181118_142222.jpg

20181118_155111.jpg

20181118_155217.jpg

20181118_182636.jpg

20181118_185515.jpg

20181118_185445.jpg

20181118_190931.jpg

Heres a couple of 60s gopro videos of me setting up scape in the tank

Carpman

Going back to the beginning in comparison what you are achieving now is fantastic.

I can see a few concerns in the sloping substrate it will start slipping once the tank is working. this can be prevented by adding under ground retaining walls using strips of glass or plastic pressed into the substrate.

Keith:wave::wave:

I didn’t watch the videos yet but tank scape perspective looks much better :)

Plant densely and they will hold a slope surprisingly well ;)

@Keith GH @alto I do have the same thoughts on the soil slipping, had that issue with previous setup even with barriers in place, flow was coming from front of tank so it was actually pushing soil down the slope so I don't suppose that helped. This time is different flow coming from back so effectively trying to push soil up hill with some barriers in place and a full carpet it should lock soil into place.

I don't know if it makes a difference but when using barriers to retain the soil would you put them perpendicular to soil slope or the tank base ?

Plants arriving tomorrow with a fresh bag of Amozonia (going to topoff with approx 1cm of new fresh soil) and last piece to complete tank Co2 tube. Did final bit to cabinet tonight, routed ferts tubes, airline and pump for the 10" air curtain which has been hidden behind stones in corner. Just got to sort/connect gas tomorrow because I've changed to an inline system.

Got to sort running details tomorrow and hope to plant sunday.

Carpman

I don't know if it makes a difference but when using barriers to retain the soil would you put them perpendicular to soil slope or the tank base ?
I have only pushed them down vertically, no harm it trying both and see what works the best.
Heavily rooting plants also helps.

One big tip in setting every thing up take it slowly and double check it as you proceed less chance of having problems later.

nd
Carpman
One big tip in setting everything up take it slowly and double check it as you proceed less chance of having problems later.

Its all done now apart from the gas connection. I'm now going mental trying to plan and work out the timings for lights koralia gas bubble wall and ferts.

Well, that's this weekend done! Aquarium gardens sent plants and soil out yesterday for delivery today( in 2 packages for the plant's safety:thumbup:) but somehow DPD have managed to cock up the delivery, they delivered the plants but no soil yet!!!:mad:
The cabinet hardware is now complete and fitted, checked seals on gas system got no leaks so I'm ready to go now.
20181124_180614.jpg

I am however worried about the new plants now. I have now got to store 10 pots of 1-2 grow under my stairs (cool and dark) and 2 plants in holding tank Limnophila hippuridoides, Hottonia in their pots for a week minimum
20181124_184246.jpg

Hi
Lit the tank and put pots in it.6 hours light will be enough and the temperature inside should be ok for the 1-2 grows . I kept one pot on fireplace for months think it was Littorella
As for the others yime will tell.
Regards Konsa

Sorry in advance for a long winded post. Finalised the running details today, but it is all subject to change just a baseline to work from.

Lighting (max 70% over 5 hrs to start, increasing to 8hrs after max lumnosity is reached (approx 5 wks))

Mon-fri
Dawn
  • Start 06.00.
  • End 13.00.
  • Luminosity, blue 50% white 0%.
Sunrise (increasing by 10% each week)
  • Start 14.00.
  • End 15.00.
  • Luminosity, Blue 70% white 70%.
Sunset
  • Start 20.00.
  • End 21.00.
  • Luminosity, Blue 50% white 0%.
Dusk
  • Start 21.00.
  • End 23.00.
  • Luminosity, Blue 5% white 0%.

Sat - Sun
Dawn
  • Start 8.00.
  • End 12.00.
Sunrise (as above)
  • Start 13.00.
  • End 14.00.
  • Luminosity, Blue 70% white 70%.
Sunset
  • Start 19.00.
  • End 20.00.
Dusk
  • Start 20.00.
  • End 23.00.
  • Luminosity, Blue 5% white 0%.

Co2 approx 8-10 bps (subject to ph profile)
  • Mon - Fri 12.00 - 20.00
  • Sat -Sun 11.00 - 19.00

Circulation Pump
  • as per Co2 times.

Air Curtain
  • Mon - Fri 21.00 - 00.00
  • Sat - Sun 20.00 - 23.0

Ferts ( TNC complete untile used, double dose).
  • 38ml TNC + 214ml de-ionised water PW
  • Daily dosing over 7 days 36ml, until early Jan 2019

I dont know what time to feed plants! Is there a best time to add ferts ? Late night, Morning

If anyone can see any possible issue's with the above I would appreciate the heads up.

Carpman

Looks like you have every thing sorted out now

I am however worried about the new plants now. I have now got to store 10 pots of 1-2 grow under my stairs (cool and dark) and 2 plants in holding tank Limnophila hippuridoides, Hottonia in their pots for a week minimum

I will leave the plant storage to the plant experts, in my opinion they should be stored in a warm and good lighting area.

In there own video it shoes how they are grown. This is exactly what I was referring to.

Last edited:
store 10 pots of 1-2 grow under my stairs (cool and dark) and 2 plants in holding tank Limnophila hippuridoides, Hottonia in their pots for a week minimum

Don’t put 1-2-Grow (or any other plants) in the dark for a week :eek:

1-2-Grow is best stored cool with moderate light (Tropica has a new “cool” fridge for retail shops, you can see it in George Farmer’s Tropica Interzoo video) - you can easily check the bottoms of the cups for “browning” (often older), also check the liquid for cloudyness, and watch for “puffing” of the plastic cover

I’m sure Dave at AG will have good advice

I have moved plants from the cupboard to the living room windowsill, its cool and moderately lit at this time of year (east facing). I did check plant conditions some have liquid some don't but 2 have very tight puffy tops. Have spoken with AG and they say its fine for puffy lids, Iwll be able to see if they are going bad.

20181125_112601.jpg

20181125_112622.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have now got to store 10 pots of 1-2 grow under my stairs (cool and dark)
Don’t put 1-2-Grow (or any other plants) in the dark for a week
in my opinion they should be stored in a warm and good lighting area.
I agree with the others, You can put the on a window-sill at this time of year, ambient light levels are pretty low and they won't over-heat.

cheers Darrel

Back