• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mot's aquascapes - Added AGA 2015 Aquascapes

Mot

Hi. My name is Jeff and Ive been posting on Planted Tank for a while now and decided to participate on this forum as well. My posts are under the same name on both sites. Had the pleasure of meeting George Farmer and Emma while they were in the USA for the AGA Convention last month. His keynote speech was definitely the highlight of the conference. Was fun watching George in the aquascape head to head challenge. His experience really showed with the precision and speed he planted the tank.

I have been aquascaping for a few years now and thought I would share a few examples of my aquascapes. I consider myself an advanced hobbyist but by no means an expert. I have two tanks setup currently. A larger 90cm tank and a smaller 45cm tank.

Here is my current 45cm aquascape:

17144548820_d335645caf_o.jpg

Here are some past 45cm aquascapes (older as you scroll down):

15161594262_c7e778d267_o.jpg

16253526447_8619da69ff_o.jpg

Here is some of the past 90 cm aquascapes (older as you scroll down):

14129892194_77d34dfe7f_o.jpg

8815461525_b7007dded9_o.jpg

7839933946_b2d30b9ff5_o.jpg

120cm Aquascapes

This is my latest Aquascape which was ranked at 148th in IIAC 2015.
[
20129820675_10fae2677a_o.jpg

Latest three aquascapes that I sent to AGA 2015:

<27l category (ranked Top 10)

20958381619_d504ed2d88_o.jpg

120 to 200l category

18059633692_fc1998ffda_o.jpg

200 to 300l category

21307964805_91cacd9197_o.jpg

Thank you for looking and hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I did creating them.

-Jeff

Last edited:
Great to see you here mot!

And great to finally see your wonderful scapes in one place. Although, i think some are missing .. right?

Hi Jeff

wow... very beautiful tanks! Thank you for sharing, it is really great to see how someone's layouts evolve, very helpful for learning.
I am now in the process of re-scaping a 60cm tank and I am really interested in your current 45 and 60 cm tanks. I think in both cases, the substrate looks very natural, much more that in the older layouts. Not sure why but I guess it has to do with a thin and neat substrate line at the front, and to the fact that you cannot see any mixture of cosmetic sand with Aquasoil (or similar). I also think the foreground plants and hardscape are arranged in a more natural way, not so homogeneous as we usually do. I love the fact of having some plants that unevenly spread towards the front.

Just one question, in your current 45 and 90 cm tank, have you used AquaSoil (or any similar nutritive substrate) or are you using an enriched substrate bottom layer?... I will be producing a quite "flat" layout with stones and wood, and I am not sure which option would be better... I don't want shrimps rolling the AquaSoil rolling over the sand again!
In your current 90 cm is there any nutritive substrates under the Eleocharis foreground carpet?

Jordi

The one with the tall rocks is fantastic. Kind of reminds me of an alien land scape from some 50s pulp scifi

Hi Jeff

wow... very beautiful tanks! Thank you for sharing, it is really great to see how someone's layouts evolve, very helpful for learning.
I am now in the process of re-scaping a 60cm tank and I am really interested in your current 45 and 60 cm tanks. I think in both cases, the substrate looks very natural, much more that in the older layouts. Not sure why but I guess it has to do with a thin and neat substrate line at the front, and to the fact that you cannot see any mixture of cosmetic sand with Aquasoil (or similar). I also think the foreground plants and hardscape are arranged in a more natural way, not so homogeneous as we usually do. I love the fact of having some plants that unevenly spread towards the front.

Just one question, in your current 45 and 90 cm tank, have you used AquaSoil (or any similar nutritive substrate) or are you using an enriched substrate bottom layer?... I will be producing a quite "flat" layout with stones and wood, and I am not sure which option would be better... I don't want shrimps rolling the AquaSoil rolling over the sand again!
In your current 90 cm is there any nutritive substrates under the Eleocharis foreground carpet?

Jordi

Yes I do keep the substrate very thin toward the front glass. Especially sand which is usually less than 1/2 inch...i mean 1.5 cm. I am very careful to keep the soil and sand from mixing. My method is to use the hardscape stones and then come back in with slate chips to line any areas not blocked off by the stone. Then during maintenance ill use a siphon hose to suck away any soil in the sand areas.

I do use ADA Aquasoil with nothing else. All extra fertilization is coming from EI dosing. The eleocharis carpet is just growing in the sand. I wish I had taken some photos for you when I pulled it out. The roots were so dense that the sand was actually trapped between so it was the same shape mat out of the tank as it was inside the tank.

Hope that helps.

That's a fab collection of scape's, I would be happy to have all of them . Look forward to September when you release the other photos....
Any plans to do a journal on ukaps in the future..?

Back