• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Most quiet external filter

TJR1989

Hi All,
I have 2 large aquariums, both around 450 litres. Both currently have FX6s filters with a U4 internal in one and a built in juwel internal in the other.

The FX6s are just too noisy for my liking, I have tried everything, new impellers, shafts, sitting it on sound proof foam and sound proofing cupboard and wrapping pipework, but a constant humming noise can be heard in the living room and upstairs in bed as tanks are directly below.

So in all of your opinions, what would be the most quiet external. I am happy to try 2 smaller ones (if they have equivalent power output) or simply replace the FX6 with another large one. I also don't need one as powerful as the FX6

Thanks in advance

The Aquael Ultra range runs just about silently. I have two Aquael Ultra 2000s. If you are considering these do buy from a reputable UK supplier as support and spares if you buy from a European seller can be problematic.

I've been on the same quest some time ago - and I think there's a number of posts on ukaps on this topic. My wife is very sensitive to humming noises and my Oase biomaster thermo 600 was too much for her. Same for the Eheim pro4+ 350T.
Lately I've settled for a Chihiros superjet 600, plus an isolation mat that is intended for washing machines. It's really silent, unless the tubing touches the cabinet. Even my wife is happy with it. I can't say if the ADA version of this filter is as silent (not sure Chihiros uses the same pump) but the general design helps (pump separated for the body, no resonance chamber around it).
The problem when you ask that question, as I have, is that everybody comes with the best intentions and says his or her filter is quiet or silent. But there's no comparison, and everyone's ears are different. As is the room where the tank is, the ambient noise. Etc.
So the only useful answer is when it's compared to other filters you know.
Another, smaller filter that I found silent is the the Eden series (511 etc.) But they are too small for you needs I think.
Hope this helps!

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

The Aquael Ultra range runs just about silently. I have two Aquael Ultra 2000s. If you are considering these do buy from a reputable UK supplier as support and spares if you buy from a European seller can be problematic.
Thanks, I have been looking at these exact pumps and noticed they were recommended on another forum post.

Do they have an easy to change pre filter?

I've been on the same quest some time ago - and I think there's a number of posts on ukaps on this topic. My wife is very sensitive to humming noises and my Oase biomaster thermo 600 was too much for her. Same for the Eheim pro4+ 350T.
Lately I've settled for a Chihiros superjet 600, plus an isolation mat that is intended for washing machines. It's really silent, unless the tubing touches the cabinet. Even my wife is happy with it. I can't say if the ADA version of this filter is as silent (not sure Chihiros uses the same pump) but the general design helps (pump separated for the body, no resonance chamber around it).
The problem when you ask that question, as I have, is that everybody comes with the best intentions and says his or her filter is quiet or silent. But there's no comparison, and everyone's ears are different. As is the room where the tank is, the ambient noise. Etc.
So the only useful answer is when it's compared to other filters you know.
Another, smaller filter that I found silent is the the Eden series (511 etc.) But they are too small for you needs I think.
Hope this helps!

What do you use to avoid the tubing touching the cabinet? Some lagging around it?

I recently moved from internal fluval U4 to external fluval 407 and had quite a few issues with noise. I actually had to replace the 407 as it was faulty.
Its fairly quiet after it's been running a while and I don't touch it. But when I clean out the filter media and restart it, it can be noisy for a while.
Our fish tank is in the front room and my wife is really sensitive to the hum but it's not too bad at the moment. I might install some sound proofing in the cabinet soon.
Please let us know what you end up getting?

Last edited:
I recently moved from internal fluval U4 to external fluval 407 and had quite a few issues with noise. I actually had to replace the 407 as it was faulty.
Its fairly quiet after it's been running a while and I don't touch it. But when I clean out the filter media and restart it, it can be noisy for a while.
Our fish tank is in the front room and my wife is really sensitive to the hum but it's not too bad at the moment. I might install some sound proofing in the cabinet soon.
Please let us know what you end up getting?
Ordered a 407 from amazon, hope it's quiet, i'm nervous now.

"Green leaf aquariums" in the US just started to sell the same kind of filter. Seems slightly more qualitative, but the import prices may hurt.

The Fzone is rated at 800 G per hour VS ADA's 80G. Hope it is avl in UK soon. I am waiting for them in India lol.

The FX6s are just too noisy for my liking, I have tried everything, new impellers, shafts, sitting it on sound proof foam and sound proofing cupboard and wrapping pipework, but a constant humming noise can be heard in the living room and upstairs in bed as tanks are directly below.
Hi @TJR1989

Yes, and the humming noise is likely to be at 50Hz* and/or a multiple of this frequency, i.e 100Hz or 150Hz. Objects causing vibrations at these frequencies are difficult to isolate acoustically from their surroundings - as you have demonstrated. If I was in your shoes, I'd contact the following company to see if they can help:

Note: the link above is to Sicce's range of quiet pumps, not filters. I don't know if it would be possible to add a container for the actual filtration. Perhaps Sicce can help?

I have another idea if the above route leads to a dead-end!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

* in the UK

JPC

Is it possible to use their pump inline on your own filter (turned off)????

1625890072994_b95b65d8-5ec9-4448-a065-96d620bf9161.png

I have just acquired a Fluval 406...which is really, really noisy. I have just replaced the impeller (38 pounds) ...which hasn't helped. I feel your pain!

I had the Aquael Ultra 1500 running in my bedroom for 7 months. I couldn't hear it unless I opened the cupboard door. One thing that did annoy me was that the pvc pipes touching the tank cabinet would make noise which was my fault as I cut the tubing too short.

So went got both OASE thermo 600 and the Aquael Ultramax 2000. The Ultramax 2000 is the quieter out of the 2! Can hear it if you open cabinet door but cannot be heard upstairs and barely noticeable in the same room.

Back