• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

most expensive live food?

hwscot

I'll start. £30 on 15 kubotai rasboras that I thought would look good in the upper levels of my 90L slate cube, where cardinals and lemon tetras are in the middle levels.
Discovery Aquatics in Dundee, by the way - excellent price, healthy fish, just not quite big enough or quick enough.
An excellent choice if you want to bring your tetras into breeding condition.

apologies if this has been done before but I dare say it's an evergreen. The kubotais, on the other hand, started off green but are now blue and red.

Hi all,
I'll start. £30 on 15 kubotai rasboras that I thought would look good in the upper levels of my 90L slate cube, where cardinals and lemon tetras are in the middle levels.
Discovery Aquatics in Dundee, by the way - excellent price, healthy fish, just not quite big enough or quick enough.
An excellent choice if you want to bring your tetras into breeding condition.
Oh dear, I'm amazed (but not in a good way).

I wouldn't have even thought about the likelihood of them being eaten, although I know that Cardinals <"are great fry hunters">.

My best effort was when I temporarily stored some spare Apistogramma cacatuoides in my <"Cherry Shrimp colony">, it was a short (and crunchy) stay.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I had some lovely crystal reds that my Least Killifish slowly picked off. They never ate much, just killed, at night, when I couldn't see them.

I wouldn't have even thought about the likelihood of them being eaten, although I know that Cardinals <"are great fry hunters">.
Nope, me neither. But they were on them like brine shrimp. Strange thing is, I have a few blue platys in the same tank, and occasional fry survive. Better instinct for diving for cover, I guess.

Many years ago I had an aquarium housing a couple of largeish angel fish, some mature lemon tetras & mature black widows.
I introduced five, what I thought were decent sized, rummy nose tetras only to find a few hours later each one clamped, head first, firmly in the jaws of either a lemon tetra or a black widow.
The angels either weren't interested or weren't quick enough.
They didn't cost a great deal but I still feel guilty & it haunts me to this day. 😢

I sold someone a feminus wrasse (Anampse femininus) once and two days later they found it sticking out of a carpet anemone. That was a £450 pound meal al though the fish may habe already died. We offered to replace it for trade cost and that one jumped out of their tank after two months. Surprisingly they didn't try anot her.

Had a sun catfish back when I didn’t know what I was doing. This thing made many a fish disappear over night before I realised it was the culprit! Managed to eat sailfin mollies over half its size which was impressive!

When I had Bosemani Raibows in my Rio 125, brought 25 Amano shrimp (around £4 each) and they ate them in all seconds :(

Back