• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss Wall

In the process of making a moss wall, Ive purchased the plastic mess and suction cup but Im stuck with which moss to buy - your thoughts would be grateful.

Cheers Paul

For projects like that and also depending on your patience you rather go for an easy and fast-growing moss.
Most Taxiphyllum and Vesicularia sp . :) Such as Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana) is very popular for making moss walls.

Ofcourse you can make a combination of different moss sp. together some liver mosses also can grow rather fast and stable.

Now ID'íng moss is a different story. In most cases, you simply cannot argue with the label. Java moss is pretty common and well determined, but for most other mosses it's questioning what they really are. Thus surprise surprise. :)

Most Vesicularia-mosses will only do their best with added CO2 and relatively good light. Taxiphyllum-mosses are much more tolerant, doing fine without added CO2 and less bright light.
You need to make sure, there is enough light in the upper corners of your aquarium - most of the "standard" aquaria have very dark upper corners. In that case you must provide extra light in these corners, otherwise your moss will only grow in a "rising sun"-form (half circle). If you have the possibility, another trick is to turn your mesh "upside down" occasionally, so the lower part and the upper part change positions. This makes the growth much more even.
I have grown numerous moss walls with many different mosses in many different conditions. The absolute best result, creating a lush and dense wall, will come from Vesicularia ssp. 'weeping' or Taxiphyllum ssp. 'spiky' (depending on added CO2 or not). The spiky is every bit as tolerant as standard Java-moss (Taxiphyllum barbierei), but more branching and lush. A very beautifull (but rather expensive!) moss wall can be made from Fisdidens fontanus, which will make a very lush and feathery appearance. The liver-mosses are in my opinion difficult to manage, since they very easily break at slightest disturbance. Not an advantage when you get to the stage of trimming your moss wall........

Hi all,
In the process of making a moss wall, Ive purchased the plastic mess and suction cup but Im stuck with which moss to buy - your thoughts would be grateful.
If you don't mind having a mix of mosses I can send you a large wodge. They have all been grown low tech, and I have a large amount spare.
Taxiphyllum ssp. 'spiky'
I like Taxiphyllum spp. and if @Mick.Dk says that is his favourite, he is the man who can.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,If you don't mind having a mix of mosses I can send you a large wodge. They have all been grown low tech, and I have a large amount spare. I like Taxiphyllum spp. and if @Mick.Dk says that is his favourite, he is the man who can.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel - many thanks for the offer of the mixed mosses i will give it a miss.
I'm considering using Christmas moss - are there any issue with this moss.

Paul.

Back