• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss identification, help please

CooKieS

Hi all,

COuld someone tell me what species of moss is this?

Thanks in advance 😉

160401062359562270.jpg
160401062404720703.jpg

My best guess is Fontinalis.. 🙂 Which one?? Where did you get it??

Seller told me it was from europa...but he doesn't know where exactly.

It does look much smaller than normal fontinalis antypiretica (I had these side by side)....maybe another fontinalis species?

It kinda looks like a Fontanilis and moss can be very versatile in grow form, depending on the inveronment it grows in... Mosses are rather difficult sometimes to identify..
If i compare your picture to the antipyretica i'm growing it doesn't realy look the same, yours look indeed smaller and more ridgid.. Maybe it's Fontinalis hypnoides?

🙂

Indeed Troi and then even the very trained bryologists still get confused sometimes.. You definitively need a well illustrated field guide as well, to know what to look for. If you are into this stuff this might help you along.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271800777174?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I red very good reviews on this work, not yet decided if i wan to have it myself.. Also still availble unused and new, but rather very expensive.. 🙂

I might need to be quick then, if i wanna have it.. 🙄 now it's in the open.. :lol: In used form it's not that often offered for sale. A new edition is realy a bit over the top expensive. But i'm not in the field that much anymore, so i still haven't made up my mind what use it would be for me on the bookshelf as wanna have. 🙂

Nice build, compliments.. 🙂
especially anything that's old and to do with natural history
So you're a bit like me, tho i do not have that many books, but what i have you need to look very hard to find any fiction.. Only collect historical, scientific and or educative literature etc.

But old natural history? Then you definitely must know "Sir Izaak Walton - The compleat Angler" if you don't look it up it's a fun read, writen in 1563 and unchanged reprinted.

Indeed we're hijacking this thread.. :shy: Sorry.. :bookworm:

I was kinda thinking the same, a sticky thread with references a.o. reviews to good books about natural history or just nature and biology in general. Many books are digitaly found at google books to read for free.. Who knows what people come up with. 🙂 Only needs throughly moderation to check for copyrights etc. As i lately found 2nd edition of Walstad completely online in pdf.. No idea if it's legal, but it's there. 🙂

Not a bad idea, I'd be up for moderating that maybe worth investigating further.
Although like you said could be a potential legal nightmare figuring out copy rights etc so best to keep to sources already recognised as legal. Either way it'd probably work well as just a review guide.

I have no idea about legal rights and how it could affect the forums integrity, since youtube as widely accepted and not always legal as well.. Who's responsebility is it in the first place seen from that perspective.. Youtube's, google books or the forum.. I guess it's the same as happens now, youtube is responsable to check contents and take it down, as google books would be as source. There are many works, papers of field and lab studies etc. to be found on google books.. Anyway i have no clue how this all works with legality issues on the net and end responsibility when linking it in a sticky.. I have no idea if Diana Waldstad approves of it, that here 2nd eddition is freely to be found with in googling 2 minutes. Because of these doubts i didn't post the link at this forum...

Back