• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss ID

Koskiusko

Seedling
Can anyone potentially ID this moss for me, it is emersed, and i was wondering if it woukd potentially grow underwater. Thanks in advance.
20190202_094012.jpg

I’ll have to look it up unless someone can beat me to it. Would have had to have know this info for my mountain leader training. But that was a decade ago.

Your sample:

upload_2019-2-2_11-56-20.jpeg

My first guess was Star Moss (Tortula Ruralis) but it’s not:

upload_2019-2-2_11-58-20.jpeg

Inclined to say it’s Orthotrichum Cupulatum:

upload_2019-2-2_12-0-48.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-2_11-56-1.png
    upload_2019-2-2_11-56-1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Thank you very much for the effort, an aquatic plant guy i know thought tortula ruralis, but said he didnt have the key to ID it, but matched the plant quite closely, shame it not aquatic regardless, from what i can gather, would like nice in my tank, looking for something that rather than grow like a bush like my christmas moss does, creeps along the surface its attached to

Last edited:
Didn’t you have a go at growing various mosses emersed and submerged @zozo ? I have a memory of reading a thread you put together...

Yes i did, still do. And yet moss ID isn't my strongest point. Without a microscope knowing what to look for and tons of experience in the tiny detais its guessing most of the times.
What you red likely was in the Growing Mosses sticky in plant help section.. :)

shame it not aquatic regardless

Well make that not aqautic in the disered shape.. :) I'm pretty confident all mosses can manage to grow aqautic if given the time and proper conditions, but most change into a completely different form.

Same as all aqautic mosses in the trade can be bought invitro growing emersed. The so called known aquatic mosses stay rather consistant and recognizable in shape growing in both forms.

The best example we have readily available is the Leptodictyum riparium you can find in your garden. Like this..
o_1bcb65usn1jh2d93n5f4851h608.jpg

and in your tank like this.
514J64BUZIL.jpg

Well make that not aqautic in the disered shape.. :) I'm pretty confident all mosses can manage to grow aqautic if given the time and proper conditions, but most change into a completely different form.

I feel a new project coming on. Was the Leptodictyum riparium shown in your post grown with or without Co2 injection?

No idea, it was a picture from the net.. But non of the mosses realy need co² injection, depends on how patient you are.. Tho as with all plants it definitively will help. But i have several low energy tanks even without any lights above it and mosses grow in it. :)

Just give it a go, throw what ever moss you can find in nature into water and see what it turns into. It might look like dying at first.. If it aint aestetic experiment keep on waiting. ;)

Hi all,
Can anyone potentially ID this moss for me, it is emersed, and i was wondering if it woukd potentially grow underwater. Thanks in advance.
Difficult to put a name to a moss without capsules (or a microscopic view of the leaf cell structure), but as a general rule the tufted (acrocarpous) mosses (like this one) grow in drier places, and aren't particularly successful in the aquarium. If you wanted to try a similar looking moss underwater <"Bryum pseudotriquetrum"> might do, and is common in the UK.

If you are interested in our native mosses and liverworts the <"BBS Field Guide"> is well worth buying. Mosses are difficult to put a name too, and many of those traded as Drepanoclados aduncus etc. <"probably aren't the actual species">.

Because of where you live you can probably find some suitable mosses in most wet places, the mat forming mosses ("pleurocarpous") are more likely to be successful underwater.

I've grown a few different <"native ones"> and <"Calliergonella cuspidatum"> is easy to identify and grow. It is the majority of the moss around the <"pond in the front garden">.

cheers Darrel

shame it not aquatic regardless, from what i can gather, would like nice in my tank, looking for something that rather than grow like a bush like my christmas moss does, creeps along the surface its attached to
Have a look at Fontinalis antipyrethica - it's not the one, but does have some resemblance to your pic. and might work for what you are looking for.

Back