• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss help

Hanuman

Question to the moss experts and lovers.

I'm in the process of setting up my grow up tank for my Amano shrimp breeding experiment. I'm trying to make a pleasing tank. Been thinking of mosses as I see plenty of breeder using moss in their breeding tanks. However my temperature usually hover around 27-29C. That doesn't seem to be adequate for most mosses out there. The only ones that I know can grow fine are the java moss and the flaming moss since I've had those in my tanks before. However I am not a fan of those mosses. I much prefer the fissidens and the hooker moss. The hooker, to what I've read, doesn't like hot environments, despite is name which would imply otherwise. I am not so sure about the fissidens. I've read conflicting information.
Any other interesting mosses that can be kept at the above temperatures and do no require a chiller?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Question to the moss experts and lovers.
cracks knuckles

However my temperature usually hover around 27-29C.
Any other interesting mosses that can be kept at the above temperatures and do no require a chiller?
Hrm.. that is a difficult one
Im not entirely sure if it will work, but I would give Cameroon moss a try seeing as its supposedly from Africa.
Another candidate just based on location would be Bucephalandra Moss which is from Borneo.
Id personally just give a bunch of types a try and see what sticks, but if youre inclined to increase your success rate then try finding scaped discus tanks and seeing what mosses they use there.
Discus tanks are almost guaranteed to be running 28 C or more.

I think you may struggle with Hookeriaceae, it can be a bit temperamental at the best of times.

I would second @Hufsa ‘s recommendation for Cameroon Moss, it’s pretty resilient though a slow grower.

I’ve had no success with Buce moss, but I think that’s partly because the shrimp like to eat it.

I would have thought bog standard Fissidens Fontanus would be fine at those temps, it’s a pretty tough moss.

Don’t limit yourself to mosses though, fine leaved plants like Guppy Grass (Najas guadalupensis) and Pearl Weed (Hemianthus glomeratus) both work well in shrimp tanks as they require no care, can be bunched with a weight (don’t need planting) and will tolerate those temps.

Shrimps love floaters with fine roots too, like Dwarf water lettuce, and their unrestricted grow rate is good for water quality maintenance.

Last edited:
I would have thought bog standard Fissidens Fontanus would be fine at those temps, it’s a pretty tough moss.
I have been reading about this moss and also did a tour to JJ market. There is always some discrepancies between what one reads and what really is. In JJ market a saw that moss being kept at around 25-26C at most though in every shop I enquired, which means all of them. There was one shop however that had it at outdoor temperatures which was probably around 27C or so maybe. He said he had had them there for 4 months. Some seem to be yellowing though. Could it withstand above 28C? Maybe but my temps do sometimes spike at 32C during summer. I might just try it see how it does at home.
Don’t limit yourself to mosses though, fine leaved plants like Guppy Grass (Najas guadalupensis) and Pearl Weed (Hemianthus glomeratus)
I am purposefully avoiding all stem or tall or bushy plants since I need to have unhindered view of the shrimps. Hemianthus glomeratus might however work somewhat if kept small.
love floaters with fine roots too, like Dwarf water lettuce, and their unrestricted grow rate is good for water quality maintenance.
That was part of the plan :)

Last edited:
I am purposefully avoiding all stem or tall or bushy plants since I need to have unhindered view of the shrimps.
Good luck with watching them after conversion from salt to fresh water, any movement and they are gone. I'm still wondering how it was possible to take this photo, they were probably drunk:

20200528_153940.jpg

I think they need lots of places to hide when young, tonnes of moss and dense plants (moss at the time of that photo was filling the tank to at least 50% of volume) should make the trick.

Last edited:
Good luck with watching them after conversion from salt to fresh water, any movement and they are gone. I'm still wondering how it was possible to take this photo, they were probably drunk:
I think they need lots of places to hide when young, tonnes of moss and dense plants (moss at the time of that photo was filling the tank to at least 50% of volume) should make the trick.
There will be cholla wood, moss (if I find any suitable one) and perhaps some bucep/anubias. They'll have plenty of space to hide. It's not like the tank will be bare.

Back