• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mopani Wood Scapes?

James D

I haven't noticed many scapes on the web that use Mopani wood to any great effect, I'm just wondering why, It's got a great texture. Maybe it's just because the shape of it that it doesn't really lend itself to aquascaping?

Another question, how would Mopani wood look underwater, combined with another type of would like Redmoor root or Manzanita would the difference in colour and texture look to obvious or would they blend in quite well?

If anyone has any pics of interesting Mopani scapes I'd love to see them as it's something I'm thinking about trying.

Thanks

James

Mopani wood is the only hardscape in my tank. One piece is covered in Christmas moss, the other is covered in Java fern. I'll post pictures on this thread this evening.

Damn, I forgot last night. Will do it today.

My tank is nothing special, but it's healthy and lush, and I like it.

This is a photo I took a couple of weeks back, before I attached the moss to the wood:

1zdwwmq.jpg

As you can see, the wood on the right hand side is covered in Java Fern. I took some more pictures today.

This is the wood on the left:

(The moss only went in a week ago. It will look much better in a couple of months when it's grown in)

bj7hmp.jpg

This is the wood on the right:

2nl74uc.jpg

2mortvl.jpg

And this is a wide view. Hopefully you see what I am trying to do with the symmetry of the wood.

e63hco.jpg

Reactions: DTL
Sacha, that tank looks beautiful mate, really lush.... not really a Mopani based scape though :) , I can hardly see it!

I bit the bullet and bought a boxful of Mopani in some interesting shapes, it's flipping massive though, I don't know if I'll have any room left for water!

Thanks a lot for all the kind comments.

I guess the Mopani is more obviously visible in person. In a two dimensional photo, the plants and wood just blend in together.

My attitude on this tank was: the fish and plants are the stars of the show. The hardscape exists only to house the plants and give shelter for the fish...

I guess if I was forced to label this scape, I would call it 'Dutch inspired'...

Thanks for the answer Zanguli, you're lucky to have all that nice wood lying around, I had to pay a fortune for mine from ebay!

I was just looking at your tanks in the links, that Forest of Congo one is like what I had in mind for mine so thanks for posting.

Mopani really does have some interesting shapes and textures, I'm dying to get stuck into my new scape but the old one's only been going for a couple of months.... the Mrs would kill me if I ripped it all out now. :eek:

I've just been out and bought a lovely piece of what I believe to be Mopani from my local Maidenheads, and it doesn't need soaking either! I've just dropped it in the bath to see if it wood ( ha see what I did there? ) float or not and it didn't, result.

Just giving it a little soak and a scrub now, will post a pic up of it later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back