• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moonlight....(Garish)

Goose157

Hi all,
90l planted...moonlight question....
Happy with how my tank is running....
Co2, low medium light running 8 hrs a day 12 noon to 8pm.
Just wondering - after my co2/lights turn off would switching to moonlight in the evening change the balance of my tank...??
The only thing I don’t like is my light going off stopping me enjoying the tank, so though I could switch to a low lumins level in the evenings or Moonlight (though i think its a bit garish) or perhaps i could reduce the light output but keep a the normal white leds running???
As i have with reduced algae to a minimum buy cutting light to 8 hrs i don’t want to rock the boat!
Any thoughts??
Thanks...
Sorry about the poor image lol...(took with my iPad)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I prefer dim white light over bright blue too. You'll find you don't actually need a lot of light to make the tank viewable. If you can with your lights, one option is to ramp up/down gradually. So you could have a ramp up in the morning and then start lowering your lights at say 7pm and have them finally turn off at 9.30 (for example) and that way you don't actually increase overall light as much. I have mine on 12-11pm with a two hour ramp up/down either side. You'll probably need to experiment though. I don't think anyone will be able to say switch on/off at this exact time and it will be fine.

would switching to moonlight in the evening change the balance of my tank...??
No it won't, so long as the light intensity is very low. For instance, outside the photoperiod my Radion FW is set on 3% which is low enough not to cause photosynthesis but high enough to view the critters.

Thanks for the help.....my light has a manual dimmer (Nicrew delux 18watt 1200 lumins)- nothing fancy just a up down toggle switch.....
So i will have a go tonight — and ramp down manually to minimum.....and enjoy the tank for an extra hour or two....
Cheers
Chris

Back