• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monte Carlo Carpet - where to go from here?

CJM70

I have managed to take a decent quality photo of the monte-carlo carpet (I believe it is monte-carlo) that I inherited with the used tank setup I recently purchased. I will try and upload the image as was taken on my phone and if you click on the thumbnail you can zoom in and hopefully see quite clearly.

I would welcome your opinion on how good a condition this carpet is at the moment. Please know that it was in in a CO2 & EI fert set up previously. For the last 10 days, (has it really been that long?), It has been growing emersed with low amounts of daylight a top a damp aquasoil surface.

I would not want to rescape the tank with a horizontal carpet just at the front. I'm thinking maybe in verse quadrants to both front corners with a small sand bar in between and to the right leading towards the right corner with taller hardscape on the left. The aim would be to give the impression of the corner of maybe a large Island to the left and the start of another Island to the right.

If I were to utilise what I already have would it just be a case of carefully peeling it off of the soil it is currently sitting on, cutting it to shape and then settling it on top of soil again?

How will it fare if it would be by submerged again and grown in the same way it was previously?

Alternatively if I changed my mind and decide not to use it, and this goes back to my first question, is this of the quality that I could sell it? And if so how much should I charge. It is 55 cm long by 15 cm deep.

Looking for ideas and recommendations and also your comments on on what I'm working with really. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_093400.jpg
    IMG_20211216_093400.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 190
Hi
the thing with carpets its once you disturb it its done with.You can't really reuse it as such as it will float due to not having stable roots to hold it down and natural buoyancy of the plants.You will need to split it and replant it so most of it will go to waste anyway.
You can split it into portions tho if its still ok(as its been few days now) and try to sell it like that.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Hi
the thing with carpets its once you disturb it its done with.You can't really reuse it as such as it will float due to not having stable roots to hold it down and natural buoyancy of the plants.You will need to split it and replant it so most of it will go ti waste anyway.
You can split it into portions tho if its still ok(as its been few days now) and try to sell it like that.
Regards Konstantin
Hi , to be honest I think I have been lucky in that respect. It currently is seated as a whole carpet. The root system seems to have knitted it nicely. So if I were to sell it, I would be able to cut it in half and using an appropriate tool, lift it with sufficient soil underneath, so it could be repositioned I guess. That way, anyone would have a chance of it working, OR the option of replanting. Does that make sense?

As above, once you remove it and post it etc, whoever has it is likely going to have to portion it up and replant it as a fresh carpet.

You can try and replant it as a whole carpet, but it is a hassle and means either dry starting it for a few months to let it reseat itself or pinning/weighing it down until the roots spread/

As above, once you remove it and post it etc, whoever has it is likely going to have to portion it up and replant it as a fresh carpet.

You can try and replant it as a whole carpet, but it is a hassle and means either dry starting it for a few months to let it reseat itself or pinning/weighing it down until the roots spread/
Okay. Damn.
So the next question is is by zooming into the main image can you tell me if I was to Horsham it all up if it is worth selling or can you not determine that from the pic

Okay. Damn.
So the next question is is by zooming into the main image can you tell me if I was to Horsham it all up if it is worth selling or can you not determine that from the pic
Looks ok in the pic.

You could try selling it, not worth much though so might be best keeping it for your own scape.

Looks ok in the pic.

You could try selling it, not worth much though so might be best keeping it for your own scape.
Cheers Nick. I will keep it and do some experimentation. Best way to learn. Appreciate your Input, thanks.

Last edited:
Back