• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Molly being a little blahblahblahblahblah

ZeeDeveel

Hi all, I bought a couple of Black Mollies from a store about a year ago, the guy told me they would eat algae... They did not. One of them died and I'm left with one Molly in a tank of Danios. He's assumed the role of head Danio and relentlessly badgers the others. I think it's going to start affecting their health. Anything I can do about this? Anyone who can adopt a Black Molly?

Thanks all!

Mollies will have a little tug of algae when they're hungry but not a well known consumer. Is your molly a male? Most liver bearer fish , mollies/guppies are just breeding machines. The males will badger anything going, had some male guppies once that made a Siamese fighters life a misery purely because the long tail fin presumably was a turn on in guppy land I guess.

I also find this happens with fish if there is no other same species probably to relieve boredom. I have a cory panda which has been through three tanks with me, all his original friends sadly passed and he is just living out his retirement in this set up. I decided to go with cory sterbai because of their colouration and the panda chases them about all day constantly up and down the glass. This guy has been pretty frustrated for a while just living in a shrimp tank as the sole fish :D Not sure if he thinks he's a sterbai or just glad of similar company.

Hopefully you can find a home for the molly, maybe the lfs will take it in or you could get some more but that inevitably leads to a tank full of mollies you can't get rid of. Not sure if it will bothering your existing fish that much as they will instinctively get chased about by bigger fish which they will run from whether they're a predator or not but if the fish are hiding away probably best the molly goes.

Depends on the algae i guess, i seen them definitively foraging on hair algae.. Also eat fissidens moss, they distroy it.. :)

Depends on the algae i guess, i seen them definitively foraging on hair algae.. Also eat fissidens moss, they distroy it..

Yeah me too, not sure if it's the algae they are after or little tidbits that's got trapped in it.

HAHA Murderous scum, bit harsh.

Yeah me too, not sure if it's the algae they are after or little tidbits that's got trapped in it.

I saw them pull it, it was the algae they where after.. I got them because of that, just for a few weeks. Gave them away for free because they where distroying my fissidens.. Realy saw them pull bushes of fissidens from the wood.. I call them fresh water pigs, the only fish i've seen eating others fish feces.. They also eat plants.. Realy pigs..

Same goes for those wagtail platties.. They are actualy funny too.. Not only looking kinda clownish with there orange color and white eyes. They realy are clowns, i have such a ball type glass lily pipe.. They loved to dive in the ball outlet, swirll around till they were spit out again and an hour later did it again.. Realy crazy fish, fell of the chair lauching seeing it for the first time.. Pitty never got it on camera.

Any ideas for Molly adoption services? I could try leaving him on someone's doorstep? 3 men might try to raise him as their own, could lead to humourous antics?

We have such a website called market place.. There you can sell and offer everything used you want to split with.. I offered them as "pick up for free" and realy surpriced got 4 e-mails with in the hour, i didn't expect that at all.. Day later they were picked up.. It must be the word "Free" because making a 5 mile detour to pick 'm up is more expensive in gas then 3 mollies together.. But it worked.. :)

Back