• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixture of tetras in 250L planted tank.

Ash6526

has anyone mixed a large amount of different tetras before? If so what species did you go for?

black neon, neon and glowlight in my 120cm. So all relatively small tetra species. Black hang out slightly higher up

EDIT: The black and glowlight are similar-ish and so I find it interesting when one looks a little closer and see the different colouration. Neons are 8 dropped from 40 after a period of neon tetra disease, which I could do nothing about although the remaining are clear. I do like the classic look of neons and the pop of a big group in a planted tank but I switched to the other species after this (candinals are a little bigger so didnt go for them)

Last edited:
Unless you want to go something like South American or Asian specific example,in a large enough planted tank Rummy Nose, Cardinals and Congo look stunning,Harlequin Rasbora look good in numbers

I'm a less is more fan. Less species but larger groups makes things more harmonious. I'd suggest going for contrasting body shapes and swimming levels. Two large groups and a centre piece fish or three slightly smaller groups would look nice in a tank that size.

Cardinals look great with black phantom tetras, rummy nose with red phantom tetras is also nice.

Two species slim and deep bodied along with a surface dwelling species like hatches or pencil fish looks good.

I’ve got a few species in my 5 foot but if I’m honest having fewer species in larger numbers makes for a better display, it’s far less chaotic.

I've a heavily planted 4 foot tank, the main fish I went with was Ember tetras there's probably around 50 in there. After than a bunch of dwarf Corys which are always fun to look at the bottom of tank, some bristlenose and then a small group of 15 or so Green neons. I will add more Embers to the tank as the red against the green plants really stand out.

I've got Cherry Barbs and Neon Tetras in my 250. I have Lemon Tetra in the quarantine tank to finish the group out and then BNs and SFFs as larger fish among the shoals.
I love 3 large shoals in a long tank as a look.

Back