• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixing Water

jameson_uk

My bloody Mary shrimp aren't doing too well and I have been having issues with the being unable to molt. The thing that constantly seems to come up in shrimp forums is that my GH of 12 is a bit too high.

Given they seem to be dropping and I don't fancy loosing another £40 of shrimp I figured it would be worth trying to reduce GH a bit just to see.

If I wanted to drop GH to 10 then would I simply be looking at mixing 5 parts tap to 1 part RO water?

If I was to replace 10% of the tank water with RO would this equate to a 10% drop in GH?

Can I use deionised water instead of RO?

At these levels I shouldn't need to worry about remineralisation?

Yes, it will drop proportionately with the amount you mix so 5-1 with give you a GH of 10 or 9-1 a 10% drop. No need to remineralise too - you are using tap as the remineraliser. Also worth double checking your tap and tank are the same and nothing in the tank is upping it. I'd remove the 10% water, but then drip the RO it when refilling, you could do it over a few days even just to be super careful with them.

Deionised is fine to use yes? (It is distilled water which is not pure?)

It is a 22l tank and I have two 2.5l bottles of deionised water. Think I will take 2.5l out and drip a bottle in overnight. If that seems ok then repeat with the other bottle and see where we are with GH then.

KH is only 5 but presumably dropping this a little should still be ok?

I've never used just Deionised, but I would guess safe to drink = safe for tank.

A TDS pen is handy when playing with diluted water as it's easier to track than small GH changes. You can pick them up for <£10.

The KH will drop in the same portion as GH, you can add them back in separately if one goes lower than you'd like. 10% is only going to drop it 0.5 though, so I don't think you'd have an issue.

Back