• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mix manure and soil ?

eminor

Hello, I use a poor soil "heather soil" with a pH of 4.9, it was the only one I had on hand, can I add some decomposed manure to add food to the plants? thx

Hello, I use a poor soil "heather soil" with a pH of 4.9, it was the only one I had on hand, can I add some decomposed manure to add food to the plants? thx

I suggest that you avoid manure until you have more experience. Decomposing manure releases high levels of ammonia.
You do not need to worry about the soil you have. Just carry on with it.

Cheers,

If you ever notice signs of deficiencies in your plants and they are simply in a plant only setup (no invertebrates or fish) you could use miracle gro diluted to 1/4 or 1/2 the usual strength. Obviously this wouldn't be suitable for all plants but in my experience so far I have found it works just fine for plants with more "basic" needs such as common stem plants or Cryptocoryne species.

Hi all,
miracle gro is so good in my opinion is because it is simply very economical, I don't think a cheaper option exists
It is <"certainly cheap">.

I'll be honest I have a <"bit of an issue"> with the sellers of a <"lot of aquarium products">, they are <"less than honest">. You could argue that an <"ADA Superjet filter"> (or a <"high end light">) is worth it because of build quality etc, but there is no issue with <"aesthetics with fertiliser">.

@Hanuman and @Zeus. (aided by @X3NiTH ) have <"built a spreadsheet"> that lays bare the mark-up on "aquarium" fertilisers.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back