• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2018

zozo

On a hold.. :lol: Well it's good for some ice skating.. Didn't expect it still this time of year.. Always a surprise..
DSCF9872 (Medium).JPG

Believe it or not, bellow the ice in the flow still some lilaeopsis brasiliensis looking rather green..
DSCF9873 (Medium).JPG

Potamogeton gayi on ice.. :)
DSCF9878 (Medium).JPG

DSCF9879 (Medium).JPG

DSCF9880 (Medium).JPG

But this weather is a good weather for thinking what's next... After playing a few years with this tub i tried all kinds of filtering. And all worked pretty well, but still i thought it can be beter.. But how and with what?

Last year some of you might remember i tried the Epoxy treated plywood to build a little outdoor tank. It's still up and running in the cellar, planted with a stickleback in it and proofed to be a valid material to hold water for the longer term. At least for a few years, that's all i need.. So finaly found a customizable material to give my idea a go..

So this year i decided to get some new filtering concept going.. Actualy a wet and dry planted sump filter for the tub. Last years planted gutter still in place above was ok and fun, but still din't work out to my full expectations, i will take it down and build this new filter instead..

But it will be and actualy must be on the same ground level standing next to the tub. There is no other way. It will stand behind the tub, no problem it only will be 22cm wide..

The idea on paper is this.. The tub is about 200 cm long and 40 cm hieght.. So i build a epoxy treated plywood box a bit shorter and the same height. It will be inside 19cm width.. The perforated plantpots will be 19x19x19cm square pots, hanging on a bumber left and right in the box about 3 to 4 cm bellow the rim. The T is a simple PVC T reduced to 25mm drip pipe put over the planted pots. And it overflows from tub to sump with a syphon. The water level in the tub will be a few cm higher than the pots hanging in the box. So the water can overflow and level with the tubs level and drip over the pots down int the sump.
TUBSUMP.jpg

I hope the diagram makes sense.. It does to me.. it actualy is going to be awfully simple and awfully cheap to make. :)

For so far, Mission bathtub 2018 on paper. Almost spring time, so still got time to get started with the build.. :thumbup:

That looks like you're still in the depths of winter there.
But with spring on the way I'm looking forward to seeing how Mission Bathtub turns out this year :)

Thanks Tim.. :) It was rather warm till 2 weeks ago that's why those tropicals are still green i guess and the local ducks already have chicks.. And now it's only getting colder still.. The last few years the weather absolutely doesn't make sense anymore. I hope it improves soon, or it will be a rather late start and a short year to get something going. Last year was exeptionaly warm very soon, don't yet see that comming again. :)

We will be this week :eek:.Reckon it will be the same for Marcel :(.
Yeah, just seen the weather forecast, looks like spring and Mission Bathtub will be on hold for a while :meh:

We will be this week :eek:.Reckon it will be the same for Marcel :(.

Yup minus 6°C night temps for next week. But sunny and 0 or higher during the days. No weather to be on the road.. :( among the killer cooky jar maniacs in a hurry..

Today is started cleaning out the tub, to get most of the debri out it collected during the winter. Give it a good rub and flush..
DSCF9913 (Medium).JPG

This year it's the first time that i find sleeping beaties in my tub..

And behold 3 of them and 2 different sp.
DSCF9914 (Medium).JPG

Now i'm not the frog expert, but i believe this to be a Rana Emporia.. Quite a beauty actualy, snorring like a kitten..

DSCF9916 (Medium).JPG

And probably a Rana arvalis. Clearly to see, the protective fleece over the eyes.... If that aint a happy snorring posture?.. Realy cute, isn't it?.. :)

DSCF9915 (Medium).JPG

I kissed one, nothing happened yet.. I look again tomorom maybe i find a gorgious busty princess in my tub.. :woot: Probably still not the right time to wake up so put them back in a safe spot again, so they can keep snorring on happily...

Attachments

• DSCF9917 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF9917 (Medium).JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 140
At least it's all thawed out :)

Yup it's defintively done freezing and slowly getting warmer every day.. Found quite a lot still green submersed stuff.. Found a massive rootsystem from the previous Nymphoides with new young shoots and stiil a butload of Potamogeton natans sprouting submersed. Also some emersed surviving Creeping Jenny and of course the bog forget me not. The basket with the emersed growth also is shooting out all kinds of new green stuff, Eriophorum, the Purple Iris and not sure but also could be the Hesperantha/Schizostylis. Alo not yet sure if the Potentilla palustris (Bog strawberry) survived the frost, i hope so, but i didn't burry it. Wait and see, roots look healthy so far. :)

Very cute! Funnily enough, yesterday evening must have been frog wake up here, after being frozen last week. There were at least 10 hoping around in/out the pond and around the garden in the rain. Quite a few already paired up - spring is in the air! Pulled the net off before it ends up full of frogspawn.

Hi all, It should have done, it grows right up into N. Scotland in the UK, and across Scandinavia, Russia, Canada etc..

cheers Darrel

OK thanks.. Have high hopes then, it's a beatufull plant, never grew it before. I was in doubt because experienced several plants not surviving the winter in above ground terrace pots, plants that usualy do not mind frost if planted correctly. :)

Weather is nice, cleaning session day.. :) Cleaned out the Wine barrel.. It was stincky and filled with rotting leaflitter that it collected during the winter.
The lily in it didn't realy mind it is already happily growing.. :)
DSCF1020.jpg

But what realy caught my eye, are the mosses that are growing on the wood emersed as well as submersed..

This is an interesting patch, looks like several moss sp. together, some kind of leafmoss and a liverwort. The green looking wood is what was submersed. Thus it keeps growing down into the water column.

DSCF1014.jpg

And something i yet never seen before and actualy i don't know what it is. It is all over teh barrel and only submersed, suspect it is a growform of a kind of moss sp. Because there clearly is some moss in there.
DSCF1017.jpg

It is kinda hard and spicky but also britlle and breaks off easily. It only grows verticaly, like it is following the wood grain.. Never seen it before.. And realy need to give it a closer look.

Anybody an idea what it is?

The one with the capsules might be <"Calliergonella cuspidata">.

That could well be looks very similar.. I kinda like they way it spreads submersed.. Very interesting moss for a decorated backpanel in an aquarium.

ot sure, it might be a <"Bryzoan">?
That's very interesting!! It indeed has a coral like appearance.. My first thought was freshwater barnacles, can it be? But Bryzoan didn't came to mind.. I'll keep a close eye to it and see how it developes. It doesn't have any tentacles, maybe not yet. I'll take some out and look with the microscope..

There is quite a lot of it all over the barrel. And it wasn't there after the summer last year. At least not noticable, it grew exeptionaly well during the cold winter days. I'll hang a piece of driftwood next to it, see if it jumps over and than place that in an aquarium. :)
DSCF1019.JPG

What you said in the linked thread.
<"Freshwater colonial...">. I would love some of these.
Be my geust.. :) If you want some of it let me know..

There are a few more patches of moss growing to it, i still need to give a closer look..
DSCF1016.jpg

Back