• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2017

Usualy i saw a lot of flowers :) But this year it's just wild all over.. Only mowe the grass and pull some weeds.. For the rest all interesting common from nature or commes ack from previous years stays untouched. But for now it mainly is Ferns
DSCF8915.jpg

and ferns
DSCF8916.jpg

and ferns
DSCF8917.jpg

ferns
DSCF8918.jpg

and ferns
DSCF8922.jpg

I guess i love ferns, i want even more.. :)

And wild strawberry ( as small as they are but the sweetest and most delicious garden candy around)
DSCF8923.jpg

Next to the Hedelfiginger Cherry.. I have to be quick before the birds come, they are at the top now...
DSCF8924.jpg

The Blackberry and Raspberry are still not available.. :)

The Jungle Boogie is slowly comming together.. :) It's nearing impenetrable to see what is going on without diving in closer.
DSCF8952.jpg

Having this closer look, i found the Gratiolas first flowers.. :)
DSCF8954.jpg

Whit the previous question asked, can Schizostylis coccinea and such be planted 15cm deep? So we test it.. It seems absolutely no proplem if enough foliage is emersed. It's happily growing and making new leaves.. But a relative slow grower, actualy a valid candidate for an open top indoor tank with sufficient light..
DSCF8949.jpg

The same goes for the Bog Arum (Calla palustris) this is a very decorative plant.. And even it's submersed rootstock and stems are promisingly decorative. Making it grow out of a rock wall or from under a piece of driftwood in a sloop this can look very good in an indoor open top tank... Definitively a plant i'm going to scape with in the future. Unfortunately i obscured it a bit with the big lobelia in front of it. Wrong choice to put the lobelia there from a submersed perspective. Lesson learned.. :)
DSCF8948.jpg

As you can see the stickleback tank still is dirty as hell, kinda expected it a bit, the tank absolutely gets no shade at all during the day, from morning to late afternoon is gets the full blast. So i realy needed to add an extra filter and some extra flow.. It again improved a bit.. But doing 2 waterchanges a day is depleting the ferts to much.. So actualy the plants in the tub and in the tank are doing less than the plants in the wine barrel. The fish can't poop up with me doing wc's.. So i'm adding extra potash and fosfate to balance it out a bit.

Just a simple bottle with a little pump and some sponge at each end.. Not realy charming but it works, it even skims too.. It does what it needs to do and does OK.. :)
DSCF8947.jpg

Also already brainstorming for next year.. I actualy do not realy use that stove on the right, i think i move it to another place.. And i got perfect place to build a brik planted sump filter into that corner, build Ala Freds pond with briks and polyester sealing.. But ok that's mission BT 2018.. Not relevant now..
DSCF8955.jpg

Last edited:
The Jungle Boogie is slowly comming together.. :) It's nearing impenetrable to see what is going on without diving in closer.
View attachment 105939

Having this closer look, i found the Gratiolas first flowers.. :)
View attachment 105940
Whit the previous question asked, can Schizostylis coccinea and such be planted 15cm deep? So we test it.. It seems absolutely no proplem if enough foliage is emersed. It's happily growing and making new leaves.. But a relative slow grower, actualy a valid candidate for an open top indoor tank with sufficient light..
View attachment 105938

The same goes for the Bog Arum (Calla palustris) this is a very decorative plant.. And even it's submersed rootstock and stems are promisingly decorative. Making it grow out of a rock wall or from under a piece of driftwood in a sloop this can look very good in an indoor open top tank... Definitively a plant i'm going to scape with in the future. Unfortunately i obscured it a bit with the big lobelia in front of it. Wrong choice to put the lobelia there from a submersed perspective. Lesson learned.. :)
View attachment 105937

As you can see the stickleback tank still is dirty as hell, kinda expected it a bit, the tank absolutely gets no shade at all during the day, from morning to late afternoon is gets the full blast. So i realy needed to add an extra filter and some extra flow.. It again improved a bit.. But doing 2 waterchanges a day is depleting the ferts to much.. So actualy the plants in the tub and in the tank are doing less than the plants in the wine barrel. The fish can't poop up with me doing wc's.. So i'm adding extra potash and fosfate to balance it out a bit.

Just a simple bottle with a little pump and some sponge at each end.. Not realy charming but it works, it even skims too.. It does what it needs to do and does OK.. :)
View attachment 105936

Also already brainstorming for next year.. I actualy do not realy use that stove on the right, i think i move it to another place.. And i got perfect place to build a brik planted sump filter into that corner, build Ala Freds pond with briks and polyester sealing.. But ok that's mission BT 2018.. Not relevant now..
View attachment 105941
Glad i have been of some help for mission 2018 zozo. Looks good mate. Love that bottle filter. How often do you clean it out. Hope you and everyone i got to know are well. Have a great summer.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Glad i have been of some help for mission 2018 zozo. Looks good mate. Love that bottle filter. How often do you clean it out. Hope you and everyone i got to know are well. Have a great summer.

Yup your topic definitively was an inspiration for me. :) If i ever build that sump i need to review your build again. It's itching the way i feel now i think i'm going to do it. :)

That little filter is for filtering out that nasty dust algea, so i clean it as much as possible, few times a week. Not to make the filter spread algae spores to much. I'm waiting for the floating vegitation to get some more mass and provide some shade.. Till then i keep that filter in and running.. So i hope it's only temporary. Keeping up with the 2x a day water changes and adding ferts is not raly helping the plants, i see them staying behind and gettting troubles. So i think this might do the trick and need less syphoning to get that crap out and keep the water and ferts in.. :)

Litle tank is doing pretty good now, finaly it is common to a full cycle.. That nasty dust algae is about gone. Also changed the regime of getting it out.. I was just spilling to much water doing all the water changes... Now i noticed the bath tub not having it, but still it actualy is the same water body. So thought wath the heck. Don't spill the water and syphon to algae out and syphon it into the tub. And it worked, the tub deals with it and in the tank it's about gone. :)
DSCF9104 (Medium).JPG

Not easy to take pictures of an outdoor aquarium with day light, found out the best time is the low morning sun from the back. Tried a flood light in the dark, but it wasn't powerfull enough.. So for now i have to do with this..

Anyway.. I'm very impressed with the submersed portion of Bog Arum.. This plant is realy a beauty, the way it just sticks out of the sloped substrate and and grows a horizontal rhizome.with each time one new leaf at it's tip. This plant in it's submersed part realy is a very suitable living hardscape replacement. Why use mossed covered sticks of wood, to create a vertical forest like image when you can have this?
DSCF9105 (Medium).JPG

Another little stunner, the submersed growform of a young Hydrocleys nymphoides.. It seems in low light tanks it will stay like this and never realy develop floaters. Funny isn't it? It doesn't resamble the mature plant form at all.. Asking myself if i should take it out and grow it on in low light indoor.
Not yet desided what to do..
DSCF9106 (Medium).JPG

This is the Potamogeton Gayi completely going mental, it grew like a racecar in the last month.
DSCF9117 (Medium).JPG

At the other side the Elodea, Potamogeton natans, unknown Nymphoides are also on the get go. Even the Juncuns repens i gave up is slowly comming.
back
DSCF9108 (Medium).JPG

So against all odds, seeing the start i thought it wouldn't realy work out this idea, but it looks like it still has a nice chance to grow in nicely before the summer ends. The submersed plants are realy taking an unexpected grow sprint after a 2 month latency, just beeing there not doing much. Probably gathering energy waiting for the right moment.

Also found me some Salvinia cucullata.. Also have it indoor now.. Realy lovely little floating fern.. More beautifull than the natans.. Wonder why it's so rare to be found..
DSCF9086 (Medium).JPG

Aad here is something realy intruiging. :) Found it in the cracks from the pavement and put it in the gutter. And it grew on like a charme. A livermoss, some other moss and some kind of tiny grassy plant which is about to flower now.. I've noticed it before but never tried anything with it.. It realy is super tiny and it seems to love wet swampy conditions. I'll wait till i see the flowers color, so i can find out what it is.. :)
DSCF9102-1.jpg

Also this plant came from the cracks in the pavement, also noticed it before with it's red flowers. And it also likes wett conditions and happily grows.
DSCF9111 (Medium).JPG

Both pretty valid candidates for indoor open top paludariums.. Growing between the cracks of our pavement.. Weeded out and thrown in the trash bin. And than we run to the LFS.. :rolleyes:

The grass pulled from the pot also grew like a rocket and almost obstructing the flow in the gutter...
DSCF9115 (Medium).JPG

Funny is, the liver moss and the other unidentified one are happily growing. But all the moss on the emersed DW didn't like the warm sunny days and died off. I guess i have to wait till summers end for it to revive. It grew there on it's own so i guess it'll come back when the climate allows it.
DSCF9113 (Medium).JPG

A baby Echinodorus slowly comming to life, growing on a flower stalk cutting, next to some Bacopa caroliniana turning it's tips red, but not realy popping the surface yet. It keeps on creeping on submersed a few mm bellow the surface. Must be the flow.. Dunno..
DSCF9109 (Medium).JPG

All and all ;) far from done yet, didn't realy expect it but, still surpices in store..
DSCF9118 (Medium).JPG
:thumbup:

This journal never fails to cheer me up...

love to read it :) keeps getting better too

Thanks guys.. :) I hope it gets beter.. From one perspective it will.. I trashed a lot of pictures because i thought they where too blurry.. Happened a lot lattely even after cleaning the lens every day. Didn't understand what was wrong with it.. But it wasn't the camera.. It seems i'm living in denail and need a pair of spectacles..:rolleyes: Bought me some reading glasses + 1 and suddenly all the photo's get beter. :rolleyes: Still not convinced it's realy me and trying to blame the camera or my skills. :lol:

Nice one zozo. Looks brill mate. Love it. More pictures of your fish please. Swimming among that stunning greenery. Hope your well mate. Eye s and all.

More pictures of your fish please. Swimming among that stunning greenery.

Thanks Fred.. :) Here are a few.. But these blighters are active and fast swimmers, not easy to get realy nice shots. Everytime i see some nice, the camera is a fraction to late to catch it.
DSCF9153.jpg

DSCF9155.jpg

DSCF9156.jpg

Maybe a Vid gives a beter impression than pictures.. It also shows how i builded it up.. And extended the shallow part with stacking boulders in the tubs length, flat stones, wood and also used the plantbaskets as base and builded it in a Hunnebed style structure,
Hunebed.jpg

with caves, pass throughs and holes in 2 levels. Like a parking garage. And this is what the fish realy love, chasing eachother and circle around, playing, foraging, hiding.. Go over and under and in the holes and cavities. And so build up to a few inches bellow the surface to have a contrasting shallow in the middle. It contrasts the fish very beautifuly and clear when passing over the stones and as you see also the snails show much more crearly.
Without such a build you would always need to search on the bottom looking throught the mirroring water collumn.. The fish realy love it, feel very safe and secure are very actively involved with it and it's a visual treat to watch. :)

:) Yup, very healthy.. Thanks.. But had to make a fence at the shallow.. One of the elders, the male got very lucky few days ago.. Something in me said go have a look.. Went outside and there he was on the terras flapping and gasping. :eek: Did put him back, cleaned all the dirt off of him and he luckely didn't got any damage, but only some hurt pride.. I thought the adults couldn't get into the shallow, but in a way the realy like crampy places and wiggle through and than make all kinds of acrobatic moves to turn back around. He jumped out trying to get back.. Now i fenced the shallow so it can't happen anymore..
DSCF9158.JPG

Sometimes by chance things happen looking with to much coincidence? It was very early in the morning at daybreak.. If i slepped in 30 minutes longer he likely wouldn't have survived it. He lay next to that plastic box on the terrace covered in dirt from flapping around. :nurse: But he's fine.. Tough little basterds..

Hi all,
The little plant from the pavement is Sagina procumbens. The plant with the red flower is Anagallis arvensis.

Cheers Darrel

Pimpernel family? Great, no wonder i didn't recognize it, yet didn't get the bog Pimpernel to flower. This scarlet one is all over my garden every year new. That Sagina, looks way cuter when small. Didn't realy relate it with the mature version. Thanks again Darrel.. :)

:)
DSCF9170 (Medium).JPG

o_O
DSCF9167 (Medium).JPG

:eek: A tree toad?... :D
DSCF9169 (Medium).JPG

Got some seed collecting to do. :) Cyperus, at first glans nothing special, but up close it is an intriguin flower.
DSCF9171.JPG

Some hiding mosses..
DSCF9181 (Medium).JPG

Lobelias almost falling over under their own weight..
DSCF9179 (Medium).JPG

And echinodorus plantlets everywhere.. Count about 9 of them.. I guess i have to make a Echinodurs wabi kusa for the winter.
DSCF9176 (Medium).JPG

:)

Attachments

• DSCF9175 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF9175 (Medium).JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF9177 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF9177 (Medium).JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF9178 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF9178 (Medium).JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 168