• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mission Bathtub 2016

Wow looking good...could it be that summer has finally arrived in your garden Marcel?
Thanks Tim, but unfortunately not realy :( till now we had more rain, low temps and cloudy days, it flowers a bit and relatively grows well, but actualy still is way behind.
The average warmest water temp i got is 16°C, air temp 22°C and not enough sun.. For a shallow this is way to cold also the tropicals stay behind and for the lily and lotus still to dark. If it doesn't start soon it'l probably never take of this year, way to late already. I have no idea what it will bring.. Forcast says rain for the rest of the week but and after tomorow 30°c with rain and thunder clouds.. Strange summer this year... What we call crone summer.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it certainly sounds like it to me as well Neil...it's been unbelievably wet.

Taking that in to account though, Marcel you've done remarkably well with it all.
Crone summer? I'd be interested to know the origins of that - Google not very forthcoming with that one...is it something to do with the Celtic deity the Crone Goddess?

I'm not unhappy with it, but it could be way better, but if the weather doesn't play with us what can we do? I literaly translated our expression, but wasn't necessary i see now, i guess, i looked it up in english it is called indian summer, we call it Old Broad summer or something like that, and an old broad also is a crone in english. But Indian summer would do as well, it actualy never started and feels like it is about to end instead. Very chilly for the time of year still running around in a sweater while normaly you should already have a tan. :) In UK it is St. Luke's little summer, our expression is from the German (old germanic) Altweiber sommer..

Indeed here is it also very wet, even the cherry tree is unhappy, not realy carrying fruit and caucht a fungus this year..

We seem to be in for a treat the next few days, there is a tropical storm comming from africa, very warm and wet and heavy rain fall thunderstorms etc. Jumping from one extreme to another.. :arghh:

Last edited:
The first warm and sunny day since weeks.. :) but not for long it seems.. So just a little update on it's development despite the cold summer all is growing.. Except the lilies and lotus and some others which probably will not realy show anymore this year.. A pitty, but what can we do??, Buy a soccer stadium and build our ponds there..??

Short video update.. :)

And a few random pics from and around the subject since pond wise there isn't yet much to show off with. I've seen better times.. :)

DSCF7273 (Kopie).JPG

And :( Something at my Lobelia. :rage: And i have no idea what it was, but seeing its stems completely shewed off i guess its something like a mouse? Or a very juge nocturnal snail i've never seen yet..
DSCF7309 (Kopie).JPG

The Iris and Cyperus and grasses etc are doing well, a bit to well it became a inpenetrable mass when it comes to taking pics. Also the gold fish fry is grwoing very well, i rarely see those little black buggers, but today in the sun they all came up to the surface and i counted about 15 of them in a range of 10 to 20mm.. And thought OMG what have i done?? What the hell am i going to do with 15 extra goldfish?? If not more.. Do they taste?? :rolleyes: Actualy they look realy cute when so small, i maybe catch a few and watch them grow up in the tank inside.. :) I took that Japanese Orchid out of the water and planted it in the soil.. But still aint doing much, probably not her year.
DSCF7286 (Kopie).JPG

These are my garden candy already ripe and sweet.. Man they taste good! For me these are the Wine Gums of the Garden.
The woodland strawberry.
DSCF7283 (Kopie).JPG

And the raspberry
DSCF7284 (Kopie).JPG

They realy taste delicious grown on fish poop, they get old tankwater for dinner.. :)

And the clematis also coloring the shades, the only one not complaining about little sun.
DSCF7311 (Kopie).JPG

Hi Roy, thank you... :) Nice you like it, but i'm not realy impressed nor satisfied with this summer i had different plans. :rolleyes: Next week starting with a thunder storm again tomorow and the rest its only rain and low temps predicted.

Hi Marcel, We have the same weather over here no two days the same :( We have not done a lot with our allotment.Should of grown rice this year as it looks like a paddy field sometimes :lol:
You have done extremely well considering the weather condition's mate :cool:
perhaps you should turn it into your next wabi roy
love your project Marcel, I cant believe I missed it till today

Thanks Andy...

I'm kinda bafled the salvinia is doing so great, previous years it didn't and just got brown and melted away. And this year despite the bad weather its exploding and covered almost all of the tub. And only throw in little ferts 20ml once a week or 2 weeks on about 250 litres. The fish love it i hear them slurp and splash all day long.. :)

Yeah...absolutely looking fantastic Marcel...especially given the weather;)
Great video too...those goldfish look super happy and the miniature waterfall is very zen:)

Last edited:
Thanks Tim.. :) Yes actualy i should not complain, but i expected some flowers already to be there.. The eichornia azurea and nelumbo nucifera and the lily of course, the 2 first i think will do nothing this year, they should have been long there.. Which is a bummer i was realy looking forward to that and now i have to wait a year longer to try again. :arghh: But foor the rest it is ok, the waterfall indeed is zen, setting next to it with a cold beer and the fogger running, is realy relaxing.. In the video the filter sponge is a bit clogged it usualy runs faster. The fish are absolutely amazingly happy, they always get exited when i sit next to the tub and come for my attention. Got them about 6 years now and they realy know me and come and play if i stick a hand in the tub, nibble my fingers and ask for fisical contact they love to be touched.

Oh btw that wishbone shaped piece of wood standing in the water stream has Taxiphyllum sp peakock growing on it.. :) Grows extremely well outdoors and emersed. :thumbup:
So there are also some unexpected succeses to enjoy..

Hey Marcel, how do you protect those strawberries from birdies? :p

Hi all,Snail, they love Lobelia cardinalis.

cheers Darrel

I had about 4 stems about 70cm high, all are 2/3 chewed off, stem and all.. I have so many Helix pomatia in the garden i could supply a restaurant all year round. That's the biggest i have sliding around, than this must be the obvious suspect i guess .. Last time i had a lobelia i had it on an island basket out of snails reach. This one got huge. actualy didn't know about the snails, or else i wouldn't have planted in there.

Hey Marcel, how do you protect those strawberries from birdies? :p

All are mine.
sneaky.png
And not only protected against birdies. Have 2 of those. Unfortenately they do not eat snails.. :rolleyes:

oqhcuzo-jpg.4291.jpg

Ps.. No rabbit got hurt in the process, they are very tough, not even damaged.. Well only pride perhaps. If i see it i take it away, never had a wounded one. Only play...

Nice! I didn't think of biological protection!!

Thanks Tim, in the beginning the red one was very curious and tried a few times, but since he always missed and got wet he gave up on it. o they don't bother to look anymore and just drink of it. :)

DSCN7834 (Kopie).jpg

Back