• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini pond with a clay pot

Jaap

Hello

I have a clay pot and want to fill it up with water. Do i have to paint the inside with a special coting paint?

d1a26ee26fd68c895d0adbcf9614dc28.jpg
f176cd0086b273e2a77c90891355d905.jpg
947c64cf299ebe14aa66cf563c327093.jpg
6b50f695bebae904c07c492995efc3cf.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I would say it depends on what the inside of the pot is already coated with. (You only show pictures of the outside) But I would also say why not fill it up anyway? And that way you will know for sure.

I cheap but messy "better safe than sorry" way might be to get a few tubes of silicone squeeze them out in it and basically spackle the inside. They have it in black or clear. Just a suggestion.

I cheap but messy "better safe than sorry" way might be to get a few tubes of silicone squeeze them out in it and basically spackle the inside. They have it in black or clear. Just a suggestion.

Just an observation, but that is easier said than done, and no guarantee it will work.
With "paint" you give it two coats, one vertical, the other horizontal.
I would say fill it up with water and see what happens.

Take aquarium safe silicone and white spirit, take a jar put in silicone and pour in white spirit start 1 part silicone 1 part spirit and start stirring, takes a few minutes but it'l mix.. Keep adding spirit or silicone till you have the viscosity you like.. It should be thin enough so you can apply it with a brush.. Now coat the inside of the clay pot with a a few layers of this.. Let it cure for 24 hours and it's water tight.. For the rest treat it like you builded a new aquarium, fill it with water and keep it filled for a week and water change every day to rinse out all silicone chemicals.

Works like a treat, did a few clay pots myself like this.. As long as the silicone layer inside isn't damaged it never leaks water..

Take aquarium safe silicone and white spirit, take a jar put in silicone and pour in white spirit start 1 part silicone 1 part spirit and start stirring, takes a few minutes but it'l mix.. Keep adding spirit or silicone till you have the viscosity you like.. It should be thin enough so you can apply it with a brush.. Now coat the inside of the clay pot with a a few layers of this.. Let it cure for 24 hours and it's water tight.. For the rest treat it like you builded a new aquarium, fill it with water and keep it filled for a week and water change every day to rinse out all silicone chemicals.

Works like a treat, did a few clay pots myself like this.. As long as the silicone layer inside isn't damaged it never leaks water..
You da king of DIY man!

Back