• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mike from West Cork, ROI

MikeofCorkonia

Hi All,

My name is Mike and I stumbled across this lovey little forum today. I kept fish as a kid some 25 years ago, all just your regular community fish and never had much luck with plants (other than Duckweed - always lots of Duckweed!).

I then got a tank given to me by an acquaintance about a year ago, and all of a sudden I have 6 tanks of varying sizes. I’ll attach photos with plant/fish stocking below. Beware I am not a photographer!

I’m really getting into the planted set ups with varying degrees of success. (I only found out substrate was a thing about 3 months ago!). I have had success with some (thank you Java Fern for being such a tolerant friend to me), and repeated failures (I’m talking about you Monte Carlo).

Really interested in getting info on different and more unusual plants. Also, if there are any other Irish fish keepers here, really interested in hearing about where you get your aquarium plants from, particularly more unusual ones. Seems to be a minefield since Brexit checks were enacted and I have struggled to find European suppliers where the importing is easier (although I am terrible at languages).

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Mike

60L tank with Platys (lots and lots of Platys 🤣) a couple of Swordtails, a couple of Corys and a couple of Ottos. Plants are the Java Fern on wood, a mossball, Frogbit which isn’t taking over the tank, and the dregs of some Monte Carlo.

Attachments

• IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
30l tank with Lambchop Rasboras, Ember Tetras and a couple of ottos. There is some frogbit in here (recently thinned out as it had thugged out the tank), Red root floaters which have started going red since thinning out the frogbit, and some Java fern and moss on wood).

The base is Wio Chocolate River Sand which I have struggled to grow anything in (no substrate though). This one is due a refresh.

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Guppy and Cyberman Tank, with a bristle nose in there. Plants are red root floaters (not much red root though), some Vallisinaria (sp?) struggling at the back and more moss and Java fern on wood (can you see a theme developing?). There was also some Starogyne Repens in there, but it is no more.

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpeg
    IMG_4308.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
A 15l nano tank with my first dragon lotus and, a vallis, and I think some dwarf Sag, which really needs a trim. Also ubiquitous Java fern, anubias, moss on wood and red root floaters. This also has a Ficus bonsai growing out of the top. Small school of Celestial Pearl Danios and Pygmy Corys in this one.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.jpeg
    IMG_4304.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
100l tank with Java fern/anubias/moss on wood. There is also a really healthy hydrocotle (sp?!?h, and Red root floaters and frogbit. Stocked with Bentosi tetras, 5 Marble Angels, 2 Ghost Angels (rescued), 4 Kuhli loaches (I think - 4 went in at least although I rarely see more that 2 at a time), and Caligula, my Peacock Gudgeon. There is a story there.

Attachments

• IMG_4306.jpeg
    IMG_4306.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
Back