• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Micro Soltion, Trace Mix, Copper and Shrimps

PeteA

Sorry if this sounds like it has been asked before. I'm happily dosing my aquarium Ei method and it looks like the plants are more vibrant green and certainly pearling unlike before (though I need to improve my CO2 diffusion). I am however a little concerned about the fact that there is 0.23% copper in my Micro solution. Now this is a tiny, tiny amount and I've been assured by Aquarium Plant Food that this is fine with Red Cherry Shrimp, but I'm concerned that according to https://github.com/flores/yet-another-nutrient-calculator/wiki/Copper(Cu) Amano Shrimp have a much lower tolerance to copper. Not being a scientist I also don't know if copper dissipates in water or stays there until water change or consumption?

What are other people's experiences/knowledge of this with their shrimp?

Hi PeteA

theres a small difference between the % of each element as quoted on your powder box and the actual trace ppms (or %) you would be adding to the tank. For e.g. I use FluidsensorOnline's TNC trace mix powder which also states Cu of 0.23% on the box. However their website (check them out as they are one of the sponcers of UKAPS) give the actual ppm of Cu you add to the tank etc..

And I have Amanos in my tank for last 4-5 months or so and they never had any problem with this Cu what so ever.

cheers
Niru

niru said:
And I have Amanos in my tank for last 4-5 months or so and they never had any problem with this Cu what so ever.

I worked out that in a week I am technically adding in 1.7ppm ;) However most of that I think must be being absorbed by the plants. Thanks for the info that your Amano's are fine with this, I've read in lots of places that Red Cherries should be fine, but nowhere that Amano's would be.

Back