• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Micro Mountain - 8L Aquacube

Dan Walter

Hi all,

This is my ultra low-tech nano Aquacube, that had been sat around empty for over a year - until I suddenly got to urge to aquascape something one night...

Specs:
Aquacube by Tropica - 20cm 8L
Azoo HOB filter
No heater
Ehiem substrate balls (for height)
Gravel substrate
Weeping moss tied to small slate pieces
Single stone (mountain)
CO2 - minimal weekly easycarbo
Ferts - Florabase substrate tabs
Water change 25-50% every 2 weeks
5hr photo period

Blank canvass.

6ejutusy.jpg

Nice bit of height from the gravel substrate and the main stone in place.

ra8uragy.jpg

Front view

vy8unuta.jpg

Moss slates tied and placed in and around the stone.

pamytu7u.jpg

This is a few months old now and is home to 5 cherry shrimp. I'm really enjoying this aquascape, even more so with it being very low maintenance.

I am starting to wish I used dark substrate though, purely for aesthetic purposes.

tu8azepe.jpg

Nice!
Do you have a journal for the scape in the background also as that looks very interesting too.

Ady34 said:
Nice!
Do you have a journal for the scape in the background also as that looks very interesting too.

Thanks Ady34! I didn't do a journal on that aquascape. I've just rescaped it so will probably start one soon.

Where u say u wished u used dark substrate... I like it light. It looks clean and natural and fits the mountain scene really well :) nice tank too :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jack-rythm said:
Where u say u wished u used dark substrate... I like it light. It looks clean and natural and fits the mountain scene really well :) nice tank too :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Agree with that. Looks really good. The green looks so lush!!
Ever thought about selling that tank :D

jack-rythm said:

jack-rythm said:
i assume its just light, no fertz or co2, tank is to small really isnt it. looks wicked. :thumbup:

Thanks Jack - It's pretty much no co2 as it only gets a tiny amount of liquid carbon every so often. I actually don't think it needs it tbh. I occasionally add a small amount of fertiliser if and when I think about it.

I think the problem niggling me might be the amount of substrate at the front. I might lower the level slightly rather than replace it with dark substrate. I'll try it at water change and post a pic afterwards :thumbup:

nayr88 said:
Agree with that. Looks really good. The green looks so lush!!
Ever thought about selling that tank :D

Cheers nayr88 - I put the tank on the window sill while giving the stand a clean and the natural light made the moss look so lush and green. The light with the unit is very yellow but it still looks ok just not as natural as daylight.

I picked this tank up from ebay, boxed, unused and with the HOB filter for a bargain £20 so it pays to scour the bay for treasures ;)

ghostsword said:
A really nice scape. Why not moss the lot?

Thanks Luis - I ran out of moss. :lol:

Well if you feel like doubling your money let me know :)

That's a shame about the yellow light, such a brilliant little cube

Looks good in situ, but I get what you mean about the light on window sill, but doubt would last 2 weeks with out a water change in there haha. I have a bowl by a frosted window full of loose moss and that pearls like mad but I have to change water every few days.

Was a serious offer btw please do let me know if you ever decide to take it down.
Until then... Enjoy it :)

From my earlier post yesterday: have you had a look for a different bulb that will fit? Is it a GU10 fit? If so I sided some really nice LED's in a bathroom that where really nice and seemed quite strong :)

tim said:
black background sets it off very nicely good job mate :thumbup:
Thanks Tim :D
nayr88 said:
From my earlier post yesterday: have you had a look for a different bulb that will fit? Is it a GU10 fit? If so I sided some really nice LED's in a bathroom that where really nice and seemed quite strong :)
I haven't looked in to it to be honest. The tank did come with 2 bulbs, I'll check out the fitment later. :thumbup:

Small update...

This 'scape is ticking along nicely and still demands minimal maintenance. A quick wipe of the glass, 50% WC, occasional trim of the moss and filter clean every 2-3 week's. About 20 minutes tops. :D

Just recently I've been experimenting with backlit backgrounds and I'm quite impressed with the effect this sky background has on the 'scape. This really brings the 'scape to life.

4upybede.jpg

I quite like this image with just the back light and no main light.

e7y5e9uq.jpg

This 'scape is almost complete now and I've already a fresh plan in my mind of a nature aquarium style 'scape.

I'll update the thread as soon as work has started :)

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Lovely simple little tank : thumbup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great I'm totally jealous. I've got an aquacube sitting in a box unused too - your inspiring me to pull it out. I've never been able to convince the mrs that I should be allowed another tank though.

I must say I love the look of the aquacube - I can't believe they stopped making them. Although for over £100 for such a small tank new. I can see why they didn't fly.

Back