• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Micro fert turned mouldy

Wizard_g

Seedling
Hi All,
Good morning, looks like my micro fert has turned mouldy. Can I still use them? And is there something I can do to prevent it turning mouldy?

Not really the mould will have scoffed some of the micros and might have released toxins.

Were these commercial micros or DIY ?

Normally sodium benzoate preservative and ascorbic acid as acidifier are added to stop micros going mouldy. Mind you some people report mouldy macros despite this when left in light and/not kept in a cool place.

You can still use them. For micros, I use 1g of ascorbic acid and 0.5g of potassium sorbate per 500ml to prevent mould. For macros, I add 30ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 500ml because ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate don't work with them in my experience.

PS. Using hydrogen peroxide can create gas. So it's not suitable for pump bottle or automatic dosers. Don't use hydrogen peroxide with micros, it will destroy the chelator.

Thanks @ian_m and @xim , I use KramerDrak powder and add 500ml distilled water to it.

I will try adding ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate, as stated above. Thanks again.

Thanks @ian_m and @xim , I use KramerDrak powder and add 500ml distilled water to it.

I will try adding ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate, as stated above. Thanks again.
That will be why then, no preservative. So either keep in fridge or just dose dry powder or add sorbate as preservative and acid to drop pH (so preservative works). You need to add both chemicals skimping and adding only one it will still go mouldy.

Back