• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Micro algae eaters

If we wonder why we have new tank syndrome: brown diatom, bacterial boom, or green water (euglena). It’s part of cycling. Once a tank is matured, they become food for micro feeders.

Given that we filter the water, is there a risk that using too much of the wrong media (ie floss) could filter these out of the water?

Given that we filter the water, is there a risk that using too much of the wrong media (ie floss) could filter these out of the water?

They are too small for that... I find cherry shrimps in the closed bottom part of my sump... The only way to get in there is for the fry to get through all the media... Through or alongside the sponges then travel a labyrinth through all the media to get to the bottom part. And there they stay feeding of the gunk etc. in it. Also found shrimp in the last compartment beyond the last very fine polishing sponge that's squeezed in pretty tight... I guess they do not mind spending a day or so to squeeze themselves past this one. :)

And newborn cherry shrimp be a tad bigger than microbes...

Back