• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mermaid weed (Proserpinaca palustris) shape

guillaume-u

Hello,

I've seen that Proserpinaca Palustris can take several shape and colors :
* Green with large leaves
proserpinaca-palustris-30596713611464_512x342.jpg

* Green with serrated leaves
proserpinaca-palustris.jpg

* Red/Copper with large leaves
Proserpinaca_palustris_2-min_800x.jpg

* Red/Copper with serrated leaves
3.jpg

I would like to know which parameters is impacting leaves shape and color.
I'm asking that because mine is still green and have large leaves and I don't know if it's only related to light (spectrum / intensity) or something else.

The thin and serrated leaves is the under water form. When emersed the leave are more "normal" looking (as in your first picture) without the extreme serration although they still have some small serrations. The color is mostly due to light, the more intense the light, the redder it is. N limitation also induces coloration.
There are also some different varieties some of which have more or less thinner leaves.

Here you have an example with the plant having transitioned from an emersed growth to a submersed growth. Probably a trimming taken from an emersed plant and added to an aquarium.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply @Hanuman.

What's strange, 2 month ago I've got some red leave (but I don't know why).
On this picture, taken from my tank (2 month ago), you can see 3 different leaves on the same plant (this plant is in my tank since a year).

1687250906490.png

So, each leaves are under water form ; but they are not the same :D maybe the CO2 is related to serrated leave ? (I've improved my CO2 injection).
Concerning the leave's color ; is the color spectrum is impacting ? or only the PAR

Thanks again :)

It's really interesting to try to read plant to understand if CO2 is correctly distributed ; if there is too much N in fert or light is too strong or not (that's the initial goal of this thread).

What you see is a CO2 induced morphological adaptation. Leaves with more access to CO2 will have leaves that are fatter. That's what 2Hr Aquarist claims:
As for the color that's mostly due to higher light intensity.

Last edited:
Thanks again @Hanuman ;

I don't remember that I've changed light + CO2 (if I remember well it was only CO2) but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll try to increase my light intensity (progressively) and check.

Have a good day.

Back