• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resolved! Members near me addon?

Hey, what would you think if there was a 'members near me' button under the members tab, that showed a list of members sorted by locality.

Would help members find others close by if you listed like eBay '17 miles from you' or something. Even if people didn't want to show their location publicly.

Being completely forum illiterate, I dont know if its feasible/ too much effort. Would bring people together a lot easier, just a glance at the list could help local meets or visits etc.
With a possible action of being able to send a 'shout' to people within a given radius?

Cheers,

It would be a good idea though, or maybe your location under your name and avatar when you post.
I removed it because having less items under the nickname makes the reading of the posts more fluid, location is only a click away anyway, if you click on the avatar or nickname, the member information will popup with the location, if you then click on the location it will show you a google map.

Ok that makes sense, just tried the google maps thing and it works a charm :)
Great stuff :) guess most people don't realize that works ;)

This new forum software as lots of features, just go about clicking on any link to find out what it does, if you can click in it, it will do something ;) and you can't break anything in the process ;)

Can you not send a prompt for members to insert their location for this? Then allow them to show or hide their exact location :)
This is optional so its up to the user to enter it or not, and the only way to hide it is if you on your privacy settings prevent members from viewing your profile!

I have found 5 members local to me since I started using the forum. I guess best thing you can do for now is to follow each other in the friends section then use the messaging service to keep in touch and organise things. I was thinking the same thing the other day. Would be handy for swapping plants etc and could save a bit of cash in delivery charges. If everyone local to you wants some bits and pieces you could all order together getting free delivery and pick it up from one house. Came to me when working out how much diy liquid carbon I had and how long it would last. I could have split this bottle 4 ways and still had more than enough and would have worked out a couple of quid each. Plus I threw out a load of cuttings at the weekend which someone could have had. There is also opportunity for chipping in for different species of plants for each tank and swapping cuttings. That way if someone loses theirs there's still some more available without further expense.

Handy if people use twitter so you can group people in your area.

Back