• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Melting lotus plants in Ada as

NOWIS

Hi all
just wondering if anyone has had problems growing lotus plants in aquasoil?
Every time mine slowly start losing leaves over about 6 weeks. And the roots turn black and rot away.
It happened with 3 different types of lotus. While all the other plants are growing perfect!! Ada as is great!
I tried adding some limestone chips into the substrate to add some kh/gh. Thinking the roots need a higher ph and minerals that the new as strips from the water. But this had no effect.
Next I thought maybe the as was to rich in organics as I have always been able to grow lotus plants In plain gravel fine.
Lastly I got some soil from the garden and planted what was left of each lotus plant in pots and they all grew back with in weeks and are going great!
This garden soil is out of a veggie patch and seems richer in organics than the aquasoil.

So I guess I'm asking how your lotus plants are growing in Ada as and why mine hate it?

Thanks for any ideas.

IMG_5370.JPG
Just a photo to show the other plants are healthy and the lotus plants growing back in the glass pots " my wife's candle holders

Try some clay fert tabs :) Nymphaea likes clay and peat.. What also could be beneficial and can't hurt to try is add some peat as well. Take for example JBL Tormec pellets break a few or find some smaller pellet pieces and add a few into the substrate like the other fert tab near the roots.. For the rest a Nymphaea is also a nitrogen lurker.

Next to this the Lotus type you are growing i guess the common available Tiger lotus, is a tropical variety. Which has a Mexicana rootstock i guess,
actualy don't realy no for sure never had this plant.. But most tropical var, have this and these are more delicate, store less energy than the other bulb like tuber rootstocks others have, Mexicana needs time to devellop and spread and likely will have some difficulty with coarser substrates to penetrate. SO you need some patience too. :)

Cheers for the fast reply

I like the idear of adding a clay based fertiliser and haven't used peat before in a substrate so I'll give that a go too.
The tri coloured lotus is a nymphaea micrantha
It has the delicate root structure.
It has plenty of the plantlets growing on its leaves so I'll try a few variations clay/peat/as in pots and see what does the best.
I removed the as from half the tank to try a diy substrate dirt sand peat clay etc and see how that works with the lotus and other plants
Thanks for your help

nymphaea micrantha
It has the delicate root structure.

Most tropicals have and are there for a bit more difficult than the others.. I'm strugling a bit to get a N. Glandulifera going on Akadama. Which also is coarse and hard.. :) In nature Nympaea is to be found in stagnant waters with muddy and rich substrates.. A tip for the next scape, go to pond shop, buy special Nymphaea soil, all contain about a 30% clay and peat compost. Not a bad idea to get a bag and if you plan a scape with a lily, than create a little pyramide of this soil where the lily is planned and cap it. The mixed clay in it makes it very sticky and it can be moulded like a doug. It stays surprisingly compact and in place once flooded. But it will be very soft and a great head start for the lily to develop roots quicker. Once matured it will grow on and push through the coarser substrate.

Back