• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Medium sized tetra?

RickB

Hi, can anyone suggest a medium sized tetra that can live with an angelfish, tank size is 200L

I've kept angels with decent sized Rummynose, Cardinals, Black Neons, bleeding hearts among others... Angels can be pretty territorial and sometimes predatorial against smaller fish so make sure there are shelter for the smaller fish.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Rosy tetra or bentosi tetra were my first thoughts before I saw the Conort2 post above. I like phantom tetras as an option to because they are very peaceful and harmonious fish.

Emperors can be nippy, although generally with themselves and only if kept in to small a group. Blue Columbian tetras are very aggressive feeders to the point they can sometimes overwhelm other species. I do like them as a species because they really glow when mature but they are quite a boisterous tetra ime.

I reckon any hyphessobrycon spp. would be a good option. If they can survive this they can survive anything...

I was looking at Emperor Tetra but the smaller size gave me doubts, They do look cool.
One of few tetras I hadn’t owned until tecently but they are really good fish; handsome and lively , even boisterous, with interesting behaviour. Not tiny by any means - the eye colour tells you the gender which is s novelty!

Attachments

• 178C18B9-A3BB-4B66-BADC-57515DBDD17F.jpeg
    178C18B9-A3BB-4B66-BADC-57515DBDD17F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
I ended up getting 6 red eye tetra and 6 serpae tetra, got to say I like the red eye tetra, very nice fish.

Now I'm thinking could I add 6 emperor too?

Be very careful with the serpae, they are tetra with a deserved reputation for fin nipping. I'm not sure they make very good tankmates for angelfish. In the long run you would be better off returning them and swapping them for more red eyes (which were also quite nippy and aggressive ime but not in the same league as serpae) or perhaps red phantom tetras.

I’d take Mort’s advice, I had no problem with red eyes and angels in a planted 36” tank and a big group of red eyes but there is a risk, it’s very specific to the individual fish and the set up. Emperors I suspect would be fine based on what I’ve read (but not direct experience) but would get a biggish group; I’ve 10 and they largely ignore the other fish

With a lot of these things it’s worth the risk if that’s what you want, just have a plan if it doesn’t work out! 👍😀

Last edited:
I had no problem with red eyes and angels in a planted 36” tank and a big group of red eyes but there is a risk, it’s very specific to the individual fish and the set up.
Very, true. Lots of tetras can turn into fin nippers. They are opportunistic micro predators after all.

Cheers,
Michael

So far the serpae have kept away from the angel, infact wherever the angel goes the other fish scarper to a safe distance, gonna keep an eye on them, I don't think returning is an option.

I read a paper a few years ago that suggested tetra were nippy in smaller groups (defined as 6 or below I think) because of an increase in social aggression caused by an insecurity due to lack of numbers. It showed even peaceful species experienced this by measuring cortisol. It's why if returning them isn't an option then upping the numbers of the serpae might be the best thing to do if you have space. The more of them, the more secure they will feel and the more their social hierarchy will develop to a point they squabble amongst themselves and ignore the other fish but I would warn you that a settled fish can change its behaviour and slow moving angels are a nice target. I hope it doesn't get to that point but just watch their behaviour.

I read a paper a few years ago that suggested tetra were nippy in smaller groups (defined as 6 or below I think) because of an increase in social aggression caused by an insecurity due to lack of numbers. It showed even peaceful species experienced this by measuring cortisol. It's why if returning them isn't an option then upping the numbers of the serpae might be the best thing to do if you have space. The more of them, the more secure they will feel and the more their social hierarchy will develop to a point they squabble amongst themselves and ignore the other fish but I would warn you that a settled fish can change its behaviour and slow moving angels are a nice target. I hope it doesn't get to that point but just watch their behaviour.
From observation I’d agree. I have noticed that as the shoal ages and some die, at some point there’s a critical number where nipping starts. Right now I’ve a group of tetras that have reached 7 in number and it’s started.

Back