have hit a plant snag, 1st time i have had swords not grow.
I think i need to buffer the water a bit. As the crypts and vallis are melting, and the swords are peppered with holes. And it is not picture worthy.
Saying that though the plant mass that has gathered in the Hydro trip is doing great/ And is a haven for all the shrimp.
I have added a few adult wood shrimp at the weekend, and took a trip to Bardills and the Japanese Water Gardens off Brian Clough Way. And have seen some very nice fish and shrimp. And they (Bardills) were saying they can order in most fish in smaller quantities now. so will be messaging them about a few things.
I feel a rescape coming soon, with some temperate plant choices.
Plants have all been ordered, So rescape will be commenced once they all arrive.
Not sure whether I will Keep the Massive Bogwood in there, or change it out for something else. I will be keeping the plant island, So will pick up a suction cup soap dish to place this into - to keep it in place. And it will be nicely hidden by all the dense matt of plants.
Rescape was Started on Friday afternoon once most of the plants arrived.
Just waiting on a few more bits to finish it all off. And will post once settled down.
Fish have a whole lot more room now that massive bogwood is gone, and changed the position of the branch to free standing.
Plecs have spawned again after the rescape and the rams are getting frisky checking out spots in the tank. Will need to add some more flat stones for them to lay on.
Also still need to get some caves sorted for the Fire Reds, so will order some of them.
Until the perm holder for the island arrives, I am just using a piece of a polybox suctioned to the back of the tank.
Something is off with the tank.
Plants are just not growing and melting alot. Even the Hygrophilas Stems have been melting, and they normally grow like weeds for me.
Going to take a few readings and see what they tell me.
Lighting I think is ok, as the x3 luminaires give 72watts full spectrum and then I have the Fluval aquasky 28w.
Its strange for plants to not grow well for me. Most of the time I just leave them to it until it becomes a jungle and then remember to trim. I have been dosing 15ml each week after water change of TNC complete. Thought i would give this one a try, as had been using the Arka ones as had bought them with staff discount.
Hair grass tried that again and it melted away. So replaced with lovely Dwarf Sag, and that has almost melted away and only a few are showing new growth.
Giant Vall, has not melted, but not showing any new growth.
The only things that are doing well is the duckweed, which covers the entire surface between water changes.
On another note, The caves I ordered for the fire reds came. And they took about a week to fully sink. I got Savu Pods, and x1 is occupied at the moment by a female, and she has banked up the gravel to block off the entrance etc.
I rehomed quite a few fish, as saw some rather stunning Samurai Gourami (Sphaerichthys vaillanti) @ Bardills. So bought all they had, And I have at least one Dominant Male who colours up nicely. And they spend all day hunting amongst the Island for shrimp.
BN Male has not trapped any of the females for a while now, though he is always guarding the tunnels. Hopefully he will trap one of the Calico reds, and will get some fry. The fry from the 1st/2nd bath are doing well and can see them in the evenings eating. During the day they spend their time in the right corner of the tank munching on Algae.
Shrimp do well in the Island, and can see a few Rilli now, which is a nice surprise.
I took the island out one water change and rinsed it off a little so that I could see what else is growing in there. And I have seen Seed Shrimp, Cyclops etc, but not Gammarus, they will most likely stick to the substrate layer of plants.
Plans are afoot for a pond in the back garden, as there is a nice hilly rockery in far right corner, So that would lend itself nicely to a nice tranquil pond with waterfall etc. And there are plenty of boulders to use scattered around the back and front garden.
Did Some readings this morning before and after a water change.
I use the JBl Proscan for ease of use and tracking etc.
Nitrate - Orange 40
Nitrite - Green 0
GH - Red - 21
KH - Orange 1.5
PH - Green 6.8
Nitrate - Orange 35
Nitrite - Green 0
GH - Red - 21
KH - Orange 1.8
PH - Green 6.3
Going to do 30% water changes for the next week and if no real change in GH. Will get a barrel of RO and start changing using that.
Gill, I found changing from weekly to daily TNC improved plant growth, it was a George F tip I read somewhere.
I hear you on the big bogwood, on one hand I like the look and impact, on the other, mine too took up a lot of water space so I cut it back.
GH has not come down with daily 30% water changes. So before I go down the RO route. I am going to Try Seachems Discus Buffer and see what that does.
I do not want to have to commit to weekly trip for RO water albeit cheap with discount.
Had to turn down a breeding group of green dragon plecs, as did not want to add them to the tank, with the water being as it is.