• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Meander - Ended As Planted 31/07/2021

Hi all,

The male is Apistogramma agassizii & the female is A. cacatuoides?

cheers Darrel
Oh Dear they were in the same tank. So Assumed they were being sold as pairs.
I am not clued up on Apistos, And have only ever kept Borelli opal trio many Years ago. I have wanted this male since I saw them years ago. And Jumped at the chance of owning one of the Fire Red Males
I take it then that they may?? cross breed. Or would it be that the male will become aggressive to the female @dw1305
They were the last ones, so got a trio for only £7.99.
If it will be a problem I can catch the females and return them for credit.

Last edited:
So I brought this luminaire last week and went about normal weekly maintenance routine.
Finished all that and put this together.
How on earth are you supposed to turn this light unit on/off if the switch is only 15cm from the power supply. So the switch would have ended up stuck behind the 10way behind the canister filter. So returned it back to the store and had my money refunded.
Why would superfish design it so poorly i Don't know.
Should have taken pix of it, it was that pointless of a design. but was that miffed off about, just pushed it all back into its box.
1614542805927.png

Slim LED 75

Size: 75cm
Aquarium Length: Min. 77 cm - Max. 95 cm
Voltage - Wattage: 24V - 34W
Kelvin: 7300
PAR: 230
Lumen (lm): 2984
CRI (complete spectrum): 86

So after the fiasco with the above luminaire.
I had a look thru my boxes in the shed. And found my original chihiros light units that fit the acrylic stand, but none of the controllers. And decided to plug them in. And surprise surprise they worked fine, so they must have just gotten damp or something.
Now I thought about fitting them to the tank, but decided against it, as would have had to hunt down some control units for them or on/off switches. And the lack of chihiros accessories for sale means they will prob be scrapped and thrown away. @Melll do you want them, or anyone else nearby.

So now I have a mish mash of lighting.
The fluval sky 28w
the kessil a80 tuna
and x1 chihiros RGB A601 unit.

I would like input into this. The removable hood slides off the frame, and is 87cm in length.
So what would people recommend for the lighting. I would like them to be smart so can control the settings from my phone or tablet if possible.
I was thinking of the fluval 3 plant x2. or would that be overkill.
Browsing stores and ebay has me all a dither.

I love that last full shot of your tank. It looks really well grown in and the arch on that wood is amazing. It's perfectly homed in that tank.

I love that last full shot of your tank. It looks really well grown in and the arch on that wood is amazing. It's perfectly homed in that tank.
dont hold your breath, the 2nd peice fell off and has ruined alot of the planting, and the nice moss pads that were showing good growth. So will need to take out both pieces and glue them together using the cigarette filter method.
the lillies have finally sprouted and have started to send out leaves.
going to wait till my next day off and tackle the hardscape properly and replant everything that has been uplifted in the 2nd piece falling off. Think the Big Male BN plec did not help trying to trap the female in a gap under the arch,

So not had a day off yet this week, but had my covid vaccination last night. And Feeling very rough indeed.
Going to order the lighting for it this weekend and see if I like it when it all arrives and I get it set up and running etc.

Feeling rough after is supposedly a good sign. It's believed it gives you a greater immunity because your body has to adapt to the vaccine.

Feeling rough after is supposedly a good sign. It's believed it gives you a greater immunity because your body has to adapt to the vaccine.
dear lord i was rough last night and this morning. Starting the feel a bit better now.
dog slept next to me all night and slept thru till 7am with me.

Feel better bud. Had a few friends who have been the same, rough as he'll for 24 hours, then it eased dramatically. Hope that's the case for you.

Feel better bud. Had a few friends who have been the same, rough as he'll for 24 hours, then it eased dramatically. Hope that's the case for you.
cheers took till sunday pm to feel better.

So I have given up on having a carpet of nice hairgrass etc. As the plecos don't want a carpet of lovely grass. So instead I am going to cover the substrate in Moss and let it grow into a nice thick matt. Going to help it along by using my good old marimo moss. And will cut them in half and superglue them to little pebbles to anchor them. And will then attach bits of moss to the marimo. Found this works well in the past.

Also giving up on the pipefish, they have just become a ridiculous price this year and then with the covid charges on top of normal shipping. They will work out to over £40 each retail, When they have been £7 each 2 years ago.

Lighting has been ordered over the weekend and should arrive by the end of the week. Not gone for anything fancy or high tech, but they do have timers which will help me immensely. Have ordered x3 units and these will sit nicely on the sliding hood and lift off easily for maintenance. And this will give me 72w of lighting for plant specific LEDS etc, and the Kessil A80 tuna.

The funky hydroponics light unit works well as desk lamp and with the x4 goosenecks I can bend and shape them where i want them to illuminate, albeit in shades of red green blue and purple.

The old Chihros lighting etc will be packed away for use another time.

Also if anyone is looking for an interesting small plec, Dean has some Tigris plecos and they look lovely and stay about the size of the BN plecos as adults.

So I have bn fry. Left a few for the big longfin male to care for. And the rest are in a ziss box.
I like these as they can be linked together. And have mesh sides to allow water to flow thru them.

20210326_113132.jpg

New lights have been fitted, and they do the job nicely. And at only £18 each were a bargain.
They have a built in timer so can set them to come on/off when needed.
Secured the 2 peices of wood with zip ties and hid with moss and plants.
And now all the shrimp like to graze amongst the moss and plants.

Last edited:
After Looking at them, it looks like there were 2 batches of fry in the pleco cave. As some are slightly bigger with no yolk sacs to feed on. I have given them plenty of IAL to graze on for the bio film etc. At least this time the fish cant suck them out of the fry breeder like last years mistake.
So fingers crossed that he trapped one of the Super red calico females as well as his female longfin. My Calico are nice colour now. They have red and deep orange finnage with a base of rusty brown.

Has anyone kept these floating plants - RICCIOCARPUS NATANS
its on sale on BAND at the moment and looks interesting

Quick shot from last night.
Bn fry are out of the ziss holding cube. And can be seen in different areas of the tank.

I am liking the island that has started to grow amongst the h.trip. if any plant becomes detached it ends up entwined amongst it. And its starting to look grown in now.

Attachments

• 20210405_192627.jpg
    20210405_192627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 197
  • 20210405_192612.jpg
    20210405_192612.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
very nice set up Gill,do I detect a couple of Discus in the photo? Like the colour of grey for the cabinet and surround;)

Yeah I got some tiny ones to start with, and will upgrade the tank size accordingly when needed. As otherwise I would stagnate with this size. So wanted some inhabitants that would force me to go bigger.
I am looking at a taller/deeper tank in the future that will sit within the floor space available. Might be a custom job. As want them to have the height needed to really fill out.
And then I could add a black arrow with a much bigger tank.

Alerts on ebay etc are running to alert to bigger tanks

Back