• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MC Mountains - 12g long

I don't suppose you could please post a pic of yourself taking a pic. So we can see you flash and its placement.

I don't suppose you could please post a pic of yourself taking a pic. So we can see you flash and its placement.

Haha i will see if I can get my girlfriend to take a photo next time I am trying to photograph the fish.

I am just using a camera mounted 430ex ii speedlight / flash unit, the lens is a 24mm Canon Pancake lens (tiny, cheap but pretty good), ƒ/4.0 or less and shutter of about 1/200, ISO400, min focus length is only 10cm and the lens itself is tiny (about 2cm in total length) so I can get right up to the glass and try focus on the fish, which is the hardest thing to do, out of 50 or more shots I seem to be only keeping perhaps 5. The flash unit probably sits above the glass on this tank (being only 25cm tall) so the flash in effect is just filling from above I dont think the flash hits the front glass directly.

Here are some photos taken with a lower f stop of 2.8, which seems a bit harder to get the whole fish in focus.

32231359830_8ecce0b497_k.jpg
IMG_7770 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

32610623955_d20e4c1062_k.jpg
IMG_7777 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

31767182124_ec61035314_k.jpg
IMG_7786 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Here is a full tank shot, some patches of MC are starting to go yellow, I guess because of not enough light, the frogbit was so thick on the surface I cleared out a lot but still wanted cover for the fish, I can see a bit a pearling again so some light must be getting to the ground, I will clear more frogbit over the next few days.

I installed the ball style lily pipe, basically kills all flow... will see how it goes.

32646036515_6724607ade_k.jpg
IMG_7810 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

The yellow patches got worse then i discovered it was all basically dead under the green growth, lesson learnt dont let MC get 10cm deep for months before trimming, hopefully it recovers from this heavy trim, cut right down to the substrate in some areas... which has also turned to mud in areas, the ada soil is over 2 years old now... this scape may be coming to a end, fingers crossed it bounces back.

31991554454_caa3393f2a_k.jpg
IMG_7858 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

I also learned this lesson the hard way... Trim more often and less. I destroyed the left side of my carpet by over trimming all in one go =[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the simplicity of this tank & fish
- as in simply beautiful :D

Excellent job with the photos - I want to search out some of these fish now, the golden orange colour is striking & more to my taste than the bright reds of B brigittae

2 year old aquasoil , did you add root tabs or fert the water ?

I add ferts daily, I had also added some root tabs a few months back, will add some more root tabs, next weekend, will let the plants settle a bit after the big trim.

Added some H. Pinnafida behind the rocks and some Anubias nana Petite, seems like the MC carpet is starting to bounce back, bit more GSA on the rocks because I cleared away most of the frogbit, may need to increase the dose of PO4.

32813393962_85c9504fd8_k.jpg
IMG_7872 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

How do I trim H. Pinnafida? Chop the tops and replant or trim off individual leafs?

33210591071_785092d753_k.jpg
IMG_7994 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Nice little scape, What's the tank size?

And what is the brand of your glass pipes? I'm searching glass pipes for my ada 60F

Nice little scape, What's the tank size?

And what is the brand of your glass pipes? I'm searching glass pipes for my ada 60F

Thanks the tank is 90cm x 21cm x 25cm high... 12 gal long I am pretty sure. The glass pipes are Cal Aqua F1 and X1, really nice tiny pipes

Managed to burn a bunch of MC using h2o2, got me thinking I may remove the mc around / close to the hardscape and plant crypt parva, less trimming of a carpet is appealing

33676598542_934ac717f8_k.jpg
IMG_9099 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

"....less trimming of a carpet " - I second that motion :thumbup::thumbup:;):) Marsilea hirsuta could be an alternative ; or even better , a mix between the two C.parva and M. hirsuta

Ordered some Crypt parva, to get ready I added some more soil to the right, will clear out a bit more MC on the right side when the plants rock up. Interestingly I had 3 shrimp die (stuck to the outlet pipe) hours after I added the aquasoil, must not have liked it. Also have done two rounds of the 1-2punch, using about 40ml of h2o2 the second time, just cant seem to clear the bba of the rocks, will give it one more go before I add the crypts, I hear they can be sensitive to h2o2?

Also removed the skimmer and raised the inlet pipe to really get the surface moving, have read a lack of o2 can bring on bba, will see what happens.

33110317524_79546e11c9_k.jpg
IMG_9123 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Back