• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Marshlands

noodlesuk

Great post, some really great photos. Love the textures on those pebbles.

Tyko_N

To make a long story short, we got a greenhouse delivered two weeks ago, and of course it was the day we had just had 5+ cm of snow drop on us the previous night ... Anyway, the goal is to keep it heated to about 7-8C and it has a small pond in it (about 200 liters), so out went everything from the flowerpot pond (we’ll see how the Echinodorus does, I have had it survive temperatures just above freezing before but I’m not sure how it copes with being cold for any longer duration).
IMG_20211123_091947.jpg IMG_20211123_091908.jpg
With the flowerpot pond free I decided to move the stuff from the seasonal aquarium there, to give the Cyperus some more head room. The water level will be raised once the Cyperus is properly established, and maybe it can become something like this in the future Killifish "hole" on a flooded meadow, Wonga Wongue Reserve, the Ogooue basin, Gabon, 20 L • Biotope Aquarium, but with actual clay walls :)
IMG_20211123_092405.jpg
That left me with an empty tank on the desktop (you can see where this is heading right?), and next up was the sump neighbor who is now the desktop companion. So the little experiments got an upgrade, and now they just need some time to settle in and resume growth. The whole process was surprisingly simple, they all had enough roots in the substrate to allow me to lift the whole thing out and then drop it in its new place, but that's enough of big moves for now.
IMG_20211123_095521.jpg IMG_20211123_100727.jpg

Tyko_N

Not quite sure were it will end up yet Angus, the windows have double glazing and there is insulation around the foundation, but we are still working out a few kinks around the weak spots and with the air circulation. We have a 9kW heater on standby that managed to heat it 20C on its own (and not even at full power) so we should hopefully be fine even during cold snaps. As soon as the sun comes out (not a very common occurrence here at this time of year though) it heats up by itself quite a lot as well, something that will improve once we get a proper layer of snow.

Tyko_N

Finally managed a half decent full tank shot of the paludarium, I’m still using a phone camera and there were a few reflections I didn’t manage to block so it’s nowhere near the quality made by some of the other people here, but now you have at least a hint of what the water portion looks like (the light varies a bit to much for me to get a good exposure on everything).
IMG_20211123_143135.jpg

Took some pictures of the land portion and the whole thing with the sump as well while I was at it:
IMG_20211123_143048.jpg IMG_20211123_143310.jpg

Tyko_N

Love the congo's
Yes nothing beats their colours when the tank get some morning sun light during spring and autumn. They had been on my fishy bucket-list pretty much since I first read about them, and finally got some about a year and a half ago. However, one of the things I had read about them, in an ancient Mergus aquarium atlas, were that they could be incredibly shy and might not feed while any people were still in the room. So while in quarantine, under a thick layer of floating plants, I was a bit worried if they were getting enough to eat, even though they were mainly fed on live blackworms. Needles to say, once I moved them into the paludarium they were pretty chunky, and have been eating everything since that (even new Anubias leaves). The original eight also spawned during quarantine, so now I have a school of 19, and they are still spawning among the plants most mornings.