• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Mark's Fluval Flex 123L

mangeltrueman

First tank in a long long time with the following specs

Fluval Flex 123 vertical bowfront tank on a custom drawers/filing cabinet stand
Inbuilt fluval aquasky 2.0 lights (soon to add the aquasky plant 3.0 for extra light)
I am going to try out the Colombo CO2 rector which uses baking soda and citric acid to pressurise a cylinder.
18L Tropical aquarium soil topped with powder for substrate
Siryu stone and Ent wood from aquarium gardens as my hardscape

I have just started a fishless "Dark Start" cycle by adding some pure ammonia to the tank (3ppm) and keeping the lights off. In a few weeks time, once the cycle is complete i will aqua-scape and add fish.

Would love to hear views on this hardscape as I still have ample time to change it before planting.

IMG_5819.jpeg

mangeltrueman

Today was planting day after nearly 3 weeks of dark starting. Decided that I did not like the hardscape at all so i re-did the whole lot and i think the whole thing feels a lot more balanced now. Pretty sure i'll be fiddling with the big piece of wood cos im not quite 100% happy with that, but on the whole i think it's much more easy on the eye.

I also ordered far too many plants!!

Rotala Orange Juice
Rotala rotundifolia H'ra
Rotala rotundifolia Green
Cryptocoryne undulatus Red
Myriophyllm Guyana
Hygrophilla Iancea Araguala
Alternanthera reineckii Mini
Staurogyne repens
Monte Carlo

IMG_5854.jpeg

Last edited:

mangeltrueman

Sorry - I'm not quite grasping this concept. I think what you're saying is your tank isn't big enough, but you've phrased it oddly.
Yeah, my bad. It's been 15 years since I ran a tank so I'm pretty rusty. I guess i'll just have to go and tell the wife I need another tank. No-one likes to waste plants.

mangeltrueman

1 week after initial planting update. Pretty good growth across the whole tank. Monte Carlo has started spreading out a bit and the stem plants have really taken off as well.

Added fish too,

Harlequin Rasboro
Cardinal Tetra
Longfin Zebra Danios
Amano Shrimp

Picking up a few ottos on Friday.

The Colombo Co2 reactor is performing better than i thought. I estimate it should last 1 month on one refill of citric acid and baking soda running about about 1.5 drops per second. Still plan to upgrade to fire extinguisher in the near future i think.

I removed the noisy and downright awful pump that came with the tank and replaced it with 2x eheim compacton 600s running in parallel. That gives me about 10x turnover.

Also cut out a gap in the lid and installed a USB PC case fan to help remove some of the heat. The Fluval LED lights get suprisingly warm and the tank was getting quite warm towards the end of the day. I'm now at a solid 24 degrees all day long.

IMG_5874.jpg

mangeltrueman

2 week tank pic update will come tomorrow, but this week I've added my solenoid and a temp probe to my home automation system so that I can get alarms on my phone if the temperature goes out of range. Next job is to see if i can reverse engineer the Fluval bluetooth to get a status of the lights on my dashboard too.

Since i added the fan, the temp has been a stable 23.7 - 23.9.

Think i have lost 1 Amano shrimp as i've only seen 4 at once recently.

Ordered the co2art dual stage regulator and a couple of fire extinguishers today as well so looking forward to setting that up as a replacement for the colombo reactor which i'll probably end up running on a new nano tank that i plan to set up.

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 18.12.24.png

mangeltrueman

2 week update

Moved the lower bit of wood slightly so it seems to flow better.

Generally good growth, especially the monte carlo front and center. Got good coverage there already. Java moss seems to have a small bit of fuzzy algae in it but is still growing pretty well.

Thinking or moving the hygrophila araguaia more to the front as it's hidden away a bit right now behind that central piece of moss covered wood.
IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5887.JPG