• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mark's fluval edge

Gh0st

it has been a while ago that i posted something here, but with "vivarium" coming up in march i am trying to set up a fluval edge tank for the ADA stand. (i am one of many people that help at "vivarium" each year)
i am by no means a expert on scaping, so do not expect to much from this :)
this tank is just a tank that will be displayed so people can see that you can actually use a fluval edge.

plants:
javafern
hairgrass

soil
florabase black

and some wood i needed to cut up tie up again in the tank :)

edge-1.jpg

2011-01-15130742.jpg

2011-01-15130755.jpg

2011-01-15130617.jpg

i hope the hairgrass will be settled by the end of march... and see some of you in holland.

Lovely looking tank mate, will look good once tthe hairgrass gets going. What are you dosing? Will there be any co2 injection or dosing? For the plants you have I don't think they crave pressurized co2 anyways.

I must admit I've wanted to plant up an edge for ages! There just abit expensive.

Have you modified the original light at all I've read around that its possible, also is there anyway/space to upgrade the filter?

Bet it'll look great on the stand come march

:thumbup:

at the moment i do not add pressurized co2, i do add easycarbo and profito.
not yet changed the lights (stock lights are really bad). i am planning on adding led bulbs, but still need to find somewhere i can buy them (maybe someone can direct me @ something on the internet?)

there is some space to add a larger filter, but it aint a lot.

small vid which makes it look a bit better :)
if you look at it from the side, you might wonder how i got the wood in through that small hole

Gh0st said:
at the moment i do not add pressurized co2, i do add easycarbo and profito.
not yet changed the lights (stock lights are really bad). i am planning on adding led bulbs, but still need to find somewhere i can buy them (maybe someone can direct me @ something on the internet?)

there is some space to add a larger filter, but it aint a lot.

Brave man taking on the Edge. I had a good sniff around them when the reps were pimping them to the shops and could not see how they could be made to work for planted tanks. Every setup ive seen other then terrestrial invert has crashed and failed in weeks. Sorry to be a doom merchant - I do wish you all the best with it. Upgrades are the key.

On that front, were you planning on replacing the halogen (GU10??) with LED replacements? If so I hear from my electrician the phillips master (£30 a bulb) spots are the only ones that he'd say come near the Halogen light output. I think a few people have used similar bulbs here, i don't know the results thou.

Beyond that one of my local shops had a pretty small marine setup in one with small corals and sea horses with brine shrimp swimming about. Was very pretty, although short lived. He ended up using an Aqua Beam LED strip balanced on the glass at the front to try and up the light.

Once again, good luck, i look forward to seeing the final results.

Best Regards,
John

Back