• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mark 2 (Roma 240)

Manisha

With the most retro tank specs, I decided to try a planted tank back in April 2016 ☺

Tank: Fluval Roma 240litres
Filter: Eheim Ecco pro 300 ( rated 750litre/hour)
Lighting: 2 x t8 arcadia 38 watt bulbs

Substrate: ADA Amazonia
Rock: ADA Yamaya stone
Wood: Manzanita

To be continued...

Initially I was dissatisfied with the hardscape & found working with an aquatic soil difficult. I attempted to amend the hardscape twice - settling eventually but feel a 'thicker, heavier wood would have suited the tank size/volume better...

20160502_233252.jpg

P_20160623_205247.jpg

P_20160801_185927.jpg

I was happier with the scape eventually & planted fully again

20160816_212752.jpg

Very nice Manisha :)

Thank you Tim, getting used too how different plants grow & the different speeds is a skill in itself - although the variations mean there's always more to learn & it would take a while for the hobby to get boring or dull!

Placing large, heavy rocks in a tank I need a stepladder to reach the bottom comfortably is a bit scary though...

Currently livestock includes

6 juvenile common Angelfish (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pterophyllum-scalare/)
12 Indian Glass Fish (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/parambassis-ranga/)
2 Peacock Gobies (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tateurndina-ocellicauda/)

Clean Up Crew...
8 Otocinclus
7 Amano shrimp
Malaysian trumpet snails

The Angels are growing fast - I can really see the difference looking back over 2 months
P_20160619_153924_1.jpg
P_20160902_154356.jpg

The Indian glass fish I find hard to capture & photos just don't do them justice
P_20160902_154337.jpg

The pair of peacock gobies
P_20160731_204039.jpg

P_20160902_154158.jpg

A meeting of the 'clean up crew' My Amano shrimp are huge...
P_20160904_115703.jpg

Many thanks for looking, apologies for the shoddy photography :)

So the tank is going alright - I've moved a few plants & would like to add a few more but no real diasters...yet...

P_20160911_195620.jpg

The plants I have now are staying so plant list...

Gymnocoronis spilanthoides
Ludwigia palustris
Cabomba caroliniana
Hygrophila corymbosa

Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus barthii
Echinodorus vesuvius
Echinodorus quadricostatus

Crinum Calamistratum
Aponogeton ulvaceus
Nymphoides so Taiwan

Sagittaria platyphylla
Sagittaria subulata

Lagenandra meeboldii red
Cryptocorne petchii
Cryptocorne wendtii Brown

Anubias var nana
Bucephalandra wavy green
Bucephalandra spec mini needle

Left side of the tank,

P_20160911_205301.jpg

And the right,

P_20160911_213319.jpg

I think the plants I completely failed with are vallisneria and limnophilia rugosa. The latter I couldn't find much information on & tried. It really just melted from top to bottom so was removed quickly!

Another unsuccessful plant was alternanthera reineckii pink. Although it seemed to grow well, my amano shrimp systematically devoured the leaves so I took away the remaining bare stems eventually.

A few ancillary plants came & went (elodea, egeria) and some I just didn't like such as the Hair grass & hygrophilia difformis (worried I might pull a few carrots up when I removed it!).

Hopefully will try limnophila hippuridoides, java fern & Cryptocorne mi oya soon...:D

P_20160911_192008_1.jpg
P_20160911_192321.jpg
Nothing to see here (low tech is slow...) but photo update nonetheless... berried amanos but not wish intentions to breedhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNKgc3XOdQ it's all good...& some new java fern from lfs :)
P_20160913_155132.jpg

Really disappointed as I had ordered Cryptocorne mi oya & limnophilia hippuridoides but received parva & aromatica - not suitable for my set up unfortunately :( ah well upwards & onwards...:)

Last edited:
Nice! Shame about the crypts but the tank is looking great anyhow!

Thanks Danny - I usually buy plants from aquarium gardens (a ukaps sponsor) however I like to support local business too so ordered a few things from a local company! The plants were great quality so it was a shame that they mixed up the order!

That looks great! I like the wood, don't usually see bits like that :)

Thanks Colin, it's from aquarium gardens, again ☺ really happy with them, although with ordering hardscape online you always order too much as your not sure how it will look lol!

Hi Manisha, Wonderful scape and healthy plants too congratulations:thumbup: Nice fish too :thumbup:

What ferts are you using.

Thank you Roy ☺ I use 10ml TNC complete 3 times a week (at slightly less than half the equivalent EI dose) as the tanks low light & seems ok?

I love my fish - but read recently in a thread Edvet suggested a 50cm height not being enough for Altums (mine are common Angel fish & shouldn't become as tall) so hope their home is ok for them!

Hi all, not a very 2xciting update but thought I'd share some funny feeding behaviour :) My apparently shy glass fish are not - I fed the tank jumbo bloodworms as the shop didn't have smaller ones this week - when the glass fish eat them, its a case of biting off more than one can chew! Although I wouldn't think this would be be a good idea long term as it may provoke aggressive behaviour - bad video but shows the Angel fish trying to steal bloodworms & the glass fish holding onto them! From about 0.14...

P_20161001_201313.jpg

Edited to play video!

Last edited:
My tank is good, albeit slow and little change! Unfortunately photo update shoddy as always!

P_20161018_205950.jpg

If you'd please excuse the veggie fork in the middle :D

I thinned my echinodorus quadricostas & added some epiphites, microsorum trident & windelov :) crypt mi oya, tropica, hygrophila sp. & rotala :) nothing photo worthy to report...

My tank is good, albeit slow and little change! Unfortunately photo update shoddy as always!

View attachment 91835

If you'd please excuse the veggie fork in the middle :D

I thinned my echinodorus quadricostas & added some epiphites, microsorum trident & windelov :) crypt mi oya, tropica, hygrophila sp. & rotala :) nothing photo worthy to report...

What's the green plant that looks like a lotus?

Hello good afternoon,

Any news on your lovely tank? As you did changes how it is going?

Hope he best and looking forward.

Best wishes

Back