• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Manzanita wood mould

Hi guys

Got some manzanita in my small nano tank and been giving off mould for a few weeks now and been soaking and cleaning it a few times over.

Noticed shrimp attacking it loads which is fine but in the last week lost two fish and loads of shrimps and not done anything differently to the tank than usual. Maybe wood mould is too much for the little tank?

Could it be that the mould is making the water polluted in some way? Never had snails either but recently noticed loads of little eggs on the glass.

Cheers

[
6c93f248d0a74748dcfa0b9ca403f289.jpg

1fedc68314408f3669f6f10d2bc9ed3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the 'mold' just a furry build up on the wood? - The shrimp do eat it which is quite normal and they should clean it up and then keep on top of it.
I'm told it's not harmful to the fish, maybe others with better knowledge will explain or answer.

This doesn't help answer your question with regards to losing livestock I know. :(

Assuming they are snail eggs; Snails can be a right nuisance and the term 'pest snail' is something you will often hear, they probably found their way in on a plant somewhere along the line and are about impossible to get rid of.
There are suggestions like adding Assassins snails as they will eat the pest snails and not breed themselves, the reality I found is they do breed! They also work by basically eating the pest snails so you end up with half eaten snails rotting away in your aquarium.
There are products out there to help try and combat the snails like Esha Gastropex which again work by killing the snails so you need to be able to gather them up if you are to explore this kind of method else you just have snails rotting away and giving off nasty things. Many people say it is not safe with shrimp but Esha tell me it is and I have tried it with shrimp in the aquarium.

I’ve got a large piece of bogwood in my tank and the shrimps have been doing a great job at keeping it clean. Prior to their arrival it had biofilm all over it and algae was starting to get a hold at the top as well.

Back