• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Manky pipes!!

Col1in

Last week I bit the bullet and cleaned my pipes for the first time, the tank has been running for about 13 months and I could see the pipes were a touch manky inside. Also when I switched my filter off and on a load of 'stuff' would come out the outlet. Anyway it took me the best part of 3 hours to clean the lot and now my tank is looking crystal clear, I should have done it 6 months ago.

Is there any consensus on how often we should clean our pipes?? Its an absolute b***ch of a job.

I tend to do mine once a month, or more if need be. Same with the filter, although that doesn't really get that bad unless I've disturbed the substrate.

There's no rule as it depends on a plethora of factors.

I tend to clean mine every three months or so and even then I think I could get away with leaving them.

My canisters however get cleaned monthly and definitely need it!

I use clear hosing, you can see when it needs cleaning. Every 2 weeks maybe.

When reconnecting. Put the outflow in a bucket. Turn filter on, all the crap goes into the bucket.
Close filter outlet, reattach and open valve. Hey presto rubbish in bucket, tank nice and clean!

Put the outflow in a bucket. Turn filter on, all the crap goes into the bucket.
Close filter outlet, reattach and open valve. Hey presto rubbish in bucket, tank nice and clean!

I wedge a 16/22mm pipe in the lily pipe outflow and syphon through half a bucket of water when the tank is filling up, the syphon hose pulls all the air out of the system and any disloged crap.

I clean the the top pipes every couple of weeks.

Could really do with cleaning mine. Not done them since I got the tank. I do my filter every 2 month.

Wow some of you guys clean them loads! I clean my filters monthly but disconnecting the pipes is tricky... I'm expecting the filters to be squeaky clean next time i look though..

Back