• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Managing evaporation

Tim1343

Hi everyone. Have to say this is a super informative forum, really enjoying the content. I currently run a reef tank and I am seriously considering switching to a planted tank instead. One of the issues that is pushing me in this direction is managing the high levels of evaporation from my reef tank. It’s around 4 litres per day in a 250 litre tank, which runs at 28°C. I’m having to run a dehumidifier constantly to manage this which is adding to the running costs quite significantly. My question is; how is evaporation managed in a planted tank (do people run auto top off?) and what are peoples experiences of evaporation on an open topped 60cm/100 litre-ish planted tank at 24°C? Many thanks.

Hi @Tim1343. I run my tanks at 23-24 C with glass tops (a lot around here run their planted freshwater tanks in the 22-24 C range, some lower). I still do have some evaporation - perhaps 6-8L (150 L tanks) between water changes (11-12 days).... Relative air humidity impact evaporation rate as well... My tanks evaporate faster during the winter. I'd rather avoid doing too much room humidifying as it may spark mold issues. The best thing you can do to limit the evaporation is to lower the tank temperature and cover it up... I assume you want to continue to go open topped so a bit extra evaporation is just something you will have to live with. Before lowering the tank temperature, you will have to take into account the needs of the livestock your planning and make temperature change slowly. Hardly any plants (none that I know of) need 28 C so they should be good and may quite possibly benefit from the lower temperature.

Have to say this is a super informative forum, really enjoying the content.
It really is. I lean something new almost everyday!

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Drop your reef temperature down to 23-25? Most corals are perfectly happy to adjust to this temp, LPS especially.

You could install a Perspex lid on the reef tank or invest in something proper.

You could also look at installing a PiV (positive induction ventilation) into your loft, relatively inexpensive and good for the house.

Or make the full switch to freshwater, enjoy slightly less headache and learn something new (breathe a whole new lease of life into your hobby)

Cheers,
Chris.

A good dehumidifier is about 8p an hour at the moment, it should be able to pull 4l out of the air in 8 hours 👍

I run a dehumidifier, a damp northern wall and an aquarium means it’s a no brainer.

Hi, if you are able, you can also cover the tank at night if you don't want to go permanent lid. Going cooler really helps and if you do venture into planted tanks then you will likely reduce the surface agitation, which will again knock it back a little.

I have a 60 cm, 120 litre, planted tank with homemade glass clip frame covers (cover the whole tank apart from a cm gap on both widths for some oxygen exchange), set to 22c in the winter and it loses only a couple of litres a week.

Back