• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

manado

Nick16

whos used it?

thoughts opinions?

i swear by JBL aquabasis as it is cheap and really nutritious. but i would love to hear thoughts on manado.

good growth?
particle sizes consistent?
Cloud the water?
Ammonia spikes?

a good review would be super.

good growth?
Yes, very good, if you consider the plants, it's not for baking.
particle sizes consistent?
Won't break, kinda vary in size, don't know the taste thou, fish might but they don't wanna tell me ..
Cloud the water?
If not rinsed before use, and it needs to be well rinsed, also rises GH a bit, some water changes the following weeks and you are OK, prepare to waste some water and energy so eat and drink before opening the bag.
Ammonia spikes?
Nay

P.S. I really need some sleep.

i have no shrimp in my tanks due to hungry rainbowfish but im still keen on using it in the near future.

I loved the old Aquabasis, shame it clouded nice and pink!

i dont think its all that if just used on its own. Unless you dose ferts heavily, it has the ability of taking 'goodness' out of the water column so roots can absorb it, probably good to have a aquabasis layer underneath though.

i haaaaated the colour and it was so annoying to plant into, its so so light.

edit; i have a picture on my journal of a tank i done with this stuff, i used a thin layer of garden soil under it.(diana walstad style)

Its too light for a high flow tank.
I tried as loww as 5x turnover and it left craters.
Its fine so far with my macro shrimps though.

ahh, right, thats puts me back to basics then. good old aquabasis it is...

would far rather use that than the mud tropica produce....
might cap it with some zambezi gravel so its more nautral.

Yeah I had to mess around for ages with my filter to stop it from slightly brushing the surface of the substrate otherwise I'd have a huge mount of it somewhere.

I have some aquabasis that a friend me proberly going to cap it with graded gravels and sand, no way am I going back to manado!! Haha

What's the zambezi gravel all about? Is it a nutrient based or just a nice gravel?

its not nutrient based, just a pea gravel. looks really good.

check the journal section for one called 'crypt causeway'. i remember zambezi gravel was used in there...

Back