• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Man vs Scape

David Edwards

BE1A11A7-D0DF-4E06-8A7D-2F1049737D47.jpeg
New scape in the design phase

Tank 90 x45 x45

Looking to create quite a low maintenance Iwagumi type tank like the green aqua walk around tank.

First try at hardscape with photo attached

Looking at using hydropiper in foreground and sides leading into dwarf harirgrass intersperses with s repens and possibly a short step plant on hill.

Any feedback appreciated.

A couple of thoughts (hopefully helpful :))

- hill looks a little forced. Gentle slope going upto a mound will look more natural.

- hill holding the soil up is skewing the stones making them look unnatural. Particularly the top right one (being placed on its end makes it look unnatural even more).
Sort out the hill using a set square or other flat object tool then place the stones,

- too many similar sized stones, google rules of iwagumi to give you an idea/feel.

- have you a pic of scape that you are trying to replicate?

S.

I know the tank you mean from Greenaqua. Just bear in mind it’s a quite different shape, tall and square.

If that’s what you are going for, I think you inevitably will have a steep slope. Plants will soften this. I like what you’ve done so far, perhaps see what it looks like without the tallest rock?

T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5E55F5C5-9636-47A9-97E6-D767A93EA079.jpeg
Thanks Seige and TBRO.

Yes it is the 90 x 90 x 45 tank from Greenaqua. I now appreciate that there is not the depth of that tank in mine which is making the mountain difficult to re create and a little too central on my first attempt (no photos).

Have re arranged a couple of stones photo below. Thanks.

David

What rock are you using?

I like the second scape, only bit I don’t like is the banking rock just right of centre. You could get plants or moss to “cut” in half like this:

b7138e1d3f30d093de4b6d0e1121c93c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David

Which Scape are you working on?

At the moment I would remove all of the RH side reason all I can see is several rocks very carefully positioned making it completely uninteresting.

The LH side I would concentrate on one scape I thing No1 has the best possibilities.
At the moment the back corner is lacking height. By increasing the height it will give you a far better eye flow.

Keith:wave::wave:

If you like that mountain effect shown in the Green Aqua tank, it’s worth watching the set up video - which follows a couple of tanks ... note how the rock scapes are built upon rock rather than just heaped soil - obviously this requires rather more stone but is the trick to that more natural appearance - soil is then added as the scape develops

Of course these guys tend to make an amazing stone scape just as they go along ... lots of practice and great selection of stones to choose from (also they’re not trying to create (serious) contest scapes in the video content)

Green Aqua Live Event

As you’re scaping directly in your tank with Aqua Soil, take care not to crush or create too much fine powder

I like no 1and no2 I would possibly move the small rocks in the centre to the right leaving you a path through the centre.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback thus far. I do like the green aqua scape and had watched the link and just not sure it is easily replicated in the tank dimensions I have? Also I think that the rock layout alone without grown in plants look uninspiring and would come into its own when planted.

Fundamentally this will be an Iwagumi and I’m conscious that the rock layout needs to be the focus.

I’ve had another couple of attemps as photos and grateful for commnents. I finishing bows it’s almost 1 in the morning and I’ve just smashed the lily pipe with a rock! It was no doubt an accident waiting to happen. Like the look of the stainless steel pipes - anybody have experience of those? I see that they just look like a jet outflow and may not give the same style of circulation as a lily pipe.

E2FDE0F2-7841-475D-AF8D-C18A8145738D.jpeg

659B5FB7-9345-417C-80ED-7CDEE65138E5.jpeg

1C1C71EE-05B6-4986-9300-7B8B9295F49F.jpeg

64203579-F1E7-487F-8DA6-20C169871F4E.jpeg

Ok guys I have decided on a layout. Will upload a photo later as its not one listed above. As this is going to be an Iwagumi style with lots of low growing foreground plants do you think it’s a good plan to add a thin layer of the powder type substrate on top of the aqua soil? This is the prodibio substrate. Also views on the dry start method? Thanks David

The smaller grain size of aquasoil will certainly be easier to plant carpeting plants in...

Back