• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Magic cleaning pads WARNING.

lurcher

I was advised to try Magic cleaning pads in my 260 litre tropical tank.i used one to clean inside glass during a routine water change.A short while later my water looked like milk,I quickly did a 150lt water change and the water is still not completely clear.Has anyone experienced this and any advice appreciated.I got an unused pad and sqeezed it in a jar of water and the water went like milk also be very careful before you use these things,you don’t know what is in them.

Not used those

I just use non scratch foam pads from the supermarket. Just to be clear, these are not the normal scourer sponge pads but the similar ones specifically designed for non stick pans. They are normally yellow (foam) and white (scourer pad). The scourer pad is fine on glass. I've used them for years and have never, ever had a problem (with the exception like all pads whereby you might get some sand or similar stuck between the pad and glass)

I even use them for cleaning tough marks and tar spots off my car (both sides of the pad) and they work a treat. It was a tip I got from a car garage. Again used them for this for years (black cars, white cars, etc)

Again - just don't confuse these pads with the normal ones though, otherwise you're going to scratch the glass (and your paintwork)

Thanks for that,my concern is will my fish be ok?

I can't answer that but if it were me I'd be doing some big water changes, possibly a couple back to back (drain, fill, circulate for an hour, drain and fill again), then repeat the next day

There are versions that have soap in them. The plain Mr Clean ones work fine. Read the label because there is a whole segment that have cleaning soap in them.

I’d do another 50-70% water change

Increase aeration

Add activated carbon to your filter as soon as possible

Many thanks Alto! Have done another 70% water change and added power filter,fish seem ok this morning and tank seems clear.should I clean my canister filter?,with these big water changes? Just cleaned a week ago.

Last edited:
I just use squares of filter floss to clean my tanks glass. Works fine and is very cheap.

I shave with classic razor blades. When they get blunt I use them to clean the inside viewing pane of the tank. Usually I let the Otos do the work.

Good tip about the white pads for non stick pans for the car. Might try and sneak these onto the wife's shopping list.

Back