• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lunar hornet moth

BigTom

I was cutting up an old willow stump last week for use in the aquarium, and found a bunch of bore-holes and a larval casing. And today I found what made them - a pair of quite spectacular lunar hornet moths (Sesia bembeciformis), I think.

em500092_by_hairytoes-d7okzuz.jpg

em500105_by_hairytoes-d7okzuf.jpg

em500092__2__by_hairytoes-d7okzvh.jpg

Pretty good mimicry, huh.

Beautiful moths. I found a Burnished Brass on a dock plant last weekend, first time I've seen one and very pretty with its tufts and dark green metalic sheen...

Hi all,
a pair of quite spectacular lunar hornet moths
Brilliant, definitely a Lunar Hornet Moth. The Hornet Moth (Sesia apiformis) is even bigger, with more yellow on it and a much rarer beast all around.

I've only ever seen one Lunar Hornet, although they are apparently quite widespread <http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=371>.

cheers Darrel

Definitely superb photography and what a great find:) and also a great example of Batesian mimicry...if I'm not mistaken...probably am, it's been a while:p

There was one of these in my front garden on Saturday, I saw it in all it's yellow and black stripey glory and ran like **** in the opposite direction. It was still in he same place about 5 hours later so I got a little brave and had a closer look, then I felt even braver so I came in to google it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learn something new everyday on here... Next time won't run like a girl! If it turns out to be an angry hornet I will entirely blame you.
Great pics Tom, thanks.
I must by a proper macro soon, trying to hold the lens the opposite was round is trying at best :p

Learn something new everyday on here... Next time won't run like a girl! If it turns out to be an angry hornet I will entirely blame you.
Great pics Tom, thanks.
I must by a proper macro soon, trying to hold the lens the opposite was round is trying at best :p

Haha yeah I remember the frustrations of the old reversed lens malarkey. These were just taken with the kit lens on my E-M5, the semi macro mode is surprisingly useful.

Back