• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia sedoides

Phill Austen

Has anybody ideas as to why this plant does not appear to be available? or where it may be available from?
Would it be possible to obtain it from a Botanical collection?

Hi,
Reportedly, it's basically a pond plant that doesn't like cool/cold weather, although it should do OK in a heated tank. If you're having trouble finding it in UK you might have to go much further afield. You could try Aquatic Oasis of Tuscon, Arizona http://www.aquaticoasis.com/Products.aspx
According to their website they ship internationally.

Cheers,

Thanks, it appears that this is not an easy plant for a temperate climate, I am getting reports from people who have lost it in glasshouses in the UK. I saw it growing in a heated lilly pool at a major botanical facility in the UK and I was struck by the geometrical beauty of the floating rosette. I would love to hear of anybody who has propogated it successfuly in the UK.

Well, it appears that very few (only one that I could find) plant vendors are aware of, or willing to import this plant. It does not travel well being somewhat brittle. I am more than impressed by the service from http://www.aquarium-gardening.com , the guy being willing to go the extra mile to ensure the customers satisfaction. I find it refreshing to receive that level of attention.

It is a difficult plant to transport / import. I get it weekly and it suffers badly. basically, by the time it gets to me I am left with a stem with a good 50% of the leaves detached from the stem! I then leave it for a few weeks to recover in some of the tanks - but it is hit and miss...
Then sent on - some people report it arriving in good health - sadly others report DOA.
The tank I leave it in has very high light - some 300w Metal Halides so it gets blasted with light. The water temp does have to be between 26 and 29C otherwise it is a waste of time - but it is a stunning plant.

Frosties, do you know why it gets so damaged in transport? is it physical damage such as crushing?, or is it chilling? or lack of light for a few days? The samples that I have received appeared to be very compressed, but I hope that it can regenerate from the growing tip. Is there any way that this plant can be purchased in good condition? would it benefit from transport in the sort of little plastic boxes that the mosses are often sold in?

Back