• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia palustris advice please

Jamesbaa

Seedling
I bought some Ludwigia palustris back in November and it's never got close to deep red colour you see in the pictures. I've managed getting some red on the leaves very close to the surface of the water but as soon as the red comes I need to cut them back.

Do you think I have Ludwigia palustris or maybe another strain of Ludwigia? I've attached some pictures at varius times of growth for reference.
20181122_213415.jpg
20181219_194106.jpg
20181223_210209.jpg

Little about the tank-
30lt nano
Co2 injected and daily dose liquid CO2
Daily dose complete liquid plant food
Light is a fluval plant LED with is at about 80% power for 6 hours

Thanks for the help

Don’t forget that Tropica and Aquaflora (I think) list their L palustris lines as ‘red’ and ‘super red’ (this one is definitely “redder” from what I’ve seen), so if you buy from another source, you can’t expect the same colours

FWIW I moved some Tropica L palustris from my Kessil/CO2 tank to a non-CO2 Fluval Flex 54 - initially the L palustris lost almost all of its red pigment (though same leaf), then slowly began to regain red colour - while its not as vivid under the lower light (not sure if there’s much CO2 impact) it has returned to a more ‘red’ than green plant
Note as it’s rather slow growth in the Flex, there is still lots of previous tank “leaf” remaining

Judging from size of leaves and overall growth-form, you have Ludwigia repens growing in your tank. This is the good, old, classic species growing red-"ish" in relatively good light-intensity and more red, when getting closer to light-source (just as you describe). It is an encredibly tolerant plant.
I see your Alternanthera growing well, having the appearance and colours they should.. ...... and when they look like that, Ludwigia palustris defenitely should get a very full, red colour, smaller leaves and show much more branching than the plant in your tank. This further point me to ID your plant, a Ludwigia repens.

Back