• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia losing chlorophyll

I’m having this issue with my Ludwigia Rubin and diamond, where they suddenly just starting draining chlorophyll from their leaves and then turn to mush. Anyone seen this before or maybe have insight as to what’s happening?
639DCBAD-6D03-4835-8FB5-54B84067B261.jpeg

Mine was doing the same. Not sure why as nothing changed regarding dosing or lighting. I just picked the leaves off.

I’m having this issue with my Ludwigia Rubin and diamond, where they suddenly just starting draining chlorophyll from their leaves and then turn to mush. Anyone seen this before or maybe have insight as to what’s happening? View attachment 179328
Hi @Mr.Shenanagins What are you dosing? and are you injecting CO2 ? If not a CO2/flow issue, it might be an Iron or Magnesium deficiency which is closely related to, among other things, chlorophyll production.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
@MichaelJ I’m dosing about .23 ppm of iron every other day, with .15 of it from DTPA. I know I have hard water I just don’t know how hard, my water company is useless and gives no useful info about parameters. It’s very possible my iron is precipitating out. A couple weeks ago I started front loading macros for a couple weeks now, but this issue has surfaced before that.

KNO3 18ppm
PO4 10ppm
K2SO4 15ppm

Hi
Have you dosed any Easycarbo or similar products lately? They can be harsh on some plants if not diluted properly.
Regards Konstantin

any possible ammonia spikes??

@MichaelJ I’m dosing about .23 ppm of iron every other day, with .15 of it from DTPA. I know I have hard water I just don’t know how hard, my water company is useless and gives no useful info about parameters. It’s very possible my iron is precipitating out. A couple weeks ago I started front loading macros for a couple weeks now, but this issue has surfaced before that.
Hi @Mr.Shenanagins It could very well be Iron deficiency (Magnesium deficiency also come to mind). I have been front loading all my Macros for a long time now as well (also targeting ~10ppm of PO4 which is known to interact with Iron) without issues, but also hedge my bets vs Iron with relatively high dosing - targeting 1ppm of FeDTPA/weekly and an occasional (most often than not..) midweek dose of Seachem Iron (Fe Gluconate). Maybe related, maybe not.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Leaf problems are usually initiated by overly large water changes
Is this a fact Stan, or just your personal observations? I appreciate that not doing water changes is working for you atm and you're excited about this, but it doesn't mean it works for everyone.
I've recently done two 50% changes and a couple of 20% changes in the space of 10 days and my plants have never looked healthier.

What works for one might not necessarily work for another.

What works for one might not necessarily work for another.
Hi @John q I agree, but I would put it slightly more pointed than that. In my opinion the highly controversial "less/no water changes" advice doesn't pass the smell test (pun intended), unless it is accompanied by a clear expression of an understanding of the trade-offs and the reason why it might work in specific cases and why most of us do very regular water changes in the first place and the reasons why we are doing so. Sorry, it's just getting really long in the tooth to have to argue this "no water change" balderdash when we all know that this is generally a terrible advice. Anyway, Stan can and should post whatever he wants (applicable to forum rules), but should be let know that "less/no water changes" is not idée reçue.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I have in the past hit some rocks with a syringe and the Ludwigia was nearby.
Hi
if it is localised issue that may be your problem.
I had similar localised issues(Rapid melt of some more gentle plants that may take anything from a day to a week to show ,also root damage to some Buces that took 2 weeks to show too plants actually didn't melt but the old roots present at time of spot dosing did and luckily for me I was dosing root stimulating product at the same time that helped with new root formation so plants recovered pretty quickly.) in past when was spot treating with Glut products or dosed straight over plants near surface.Now I dose my Easycarbo in the surface skimmer so gets diluted before hitting any plant mass.
I will trim the affected area and observe how the unaffected plants arround and the new shoots will look like.If is normal growth that will be your confirmation.
If the issue persists or the new growth is not right look into the other advice given above.
Useful as Easycarbo and similar are they must be applied with care or they do more harm than good.
Regards Konstantin

@Konsa I have been attempting to eradicate GSA on my island stones and it’s hard to address without being in close proximity to my plants. I’m just going to focus on the growth to eventually shade out my stones and out compete the algae. I’m just so tired of scrubbing each water change!.

Hi @Mr.Shenanagins It could very well be Iron deficiency (Magnesium deficiency also come to mind). I have been front loading all my Macros for a long time now as well (also targeting ~10ppm of PO4 which is known to interact with Iron) without issues, but also hedge my bets vs Iron with relatively high dosing - targeting 1ppm of FeDTPA/weekly and an occasional (most often than not..) midweek dose of Seachem Iron (Fe Gluconate). Maybe related, maybe not.

Cheers,
Michael
Now is the 1ppm iron alone or that includes the rest of your micros? I’ll prob start dosing closer to 1-1.5 of DTPA and see if that helps. I have also noticed some of my downoi is coming in whiter than usual on the new leaves.

Now is the 1ppm iron alone or that includes the rest of your micros? I’ll prob start dosing closer to 1-1.5 of DTPA and see if that helps. I have also noticed some of my downoi is coming in whiter than usual on the new leaves.
Hi @Mr.Shenanagins I am sorry, I got the acronym wrong! Its EDTA not DTPA - this trace mix product. I am targeting ~1ppm of Fe alone and add an additional 0.2 ppm/wk using Seachem Flourish Iron, or 1.2 ppm/wk in total.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
since you are only have problems with one plant, you could try targeted dosing via the substrate?
over the past few weeks I have been dosing 6% EDDHA-Fe at 0.1ppm by inserting them as ice cubes into the substrate without staining the water.

I have in the past hit some rocks with a syringe and the Ludwigia was nearby.

I agree with @Konsa - looks like Glut damage to me. Are the affected leaves turning to mush? I had the same thing happen with alternanthera reineckii after spot dosing too close to it. It looks like the adjacent crypt leaf has been affected too, and I also had melt on some crypt leaves from spot dosing them.

If you are getting GSA on your rocks, firstly glut won't do much of anything to it - that works mainly for BBA and staghorn, secondly just dial your lights down - excess light will be the primary cause.

If you are getting GSA on your rocks, firstly glut won't do much of anything to it
In my experience, on the contrary. It will kill it and clear the rock in a few days. The trick is to keep it from coming back. But your probably right, I have my Twinstar at 100 for several hours but I do that to get the bright reds out of my Ludwigia, rotala, and limnophila aromatica.

Back