• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia, curled stunted growth

Conort2

Hi guys,

wonder if you can help? Having something random going on with my ludwigia sp mini super red. For some reason some of the plants are producing stunted curled new growth whilst others are absolutely fine. All are within a few inches of each other. Is this cause by a deficiency or too much of something? Tank water is hard and dosing is ei. Fresh tropica soil substrate which is only a month or two old. CO2 injected high light tank.

cheers

Conor 1836D8D3-4B6E-4DB8-955F-07455C5A7293.jpeg 409227D6-E1F4-46B5-B1CE-1E4C3E10C3CC.jpeg

Sorry the pictures are rubbis, but hopefully you can see the difference in growth between the healthy and unhealthy stems.

Hi guys,

wonder if you can help? Having something random going on with my ludwigia sp mini super red. For some reason some of the plants are producing stunted curled new growth whilst others are absolutely fine. All are within a few inches of each other. Is this cause by a deficiency or too much of something? Tank water is hard and dosing is ei. Fresh tropica soil substrate which is only a month or two old. CO2 injected high light tank.

cheers

Conor View attachment 131050View attachment 131051
Maybe it's not a big help, but there are three ferts I know that are responsible for internal tissue pressure/plant movement/bending/curling etc and these are Calcium/Potassium and partially Magnesium. And that's where I think you can find the source of your problem.

Looks more distributed like nematode damage. Or possibly some horrible bacterial or fungal plant disease.
Take it back to the retailer or bin it. Those plants are too unhealthy to be worth keeping.
Under EI you can rule out nutrient issues.

As Simon says, if you are dosing EI it can't be a nutrient deficency. Also a deficiency would affect all your plants of the same species at least, and most likely your other species as well. So it's most likely a disease, and it would be safest to remove the affected plants, and keep an eye on the others in case they start to show the same symptoms.
You could isolate them in a separate container to see if they recover, keeping them well away from healthy plants, if that's practical for you. Otherwise it's the bin option to be safe.

As Simon says, if you are dosing EI it can't be a nutrient deficency. Also a deficiency would affect all your plants of the same species at least, and most likely your other species as well. So it's most likely a disease, and it would be safest to remove the affected plants, and keep an eye on the others in case they start to show the same symptoms.
You could isolate them in a separate container to see if they recover, keeping them well away from healthy plants, if that's practical for you. Otherwise it's the bin option to be safe.
Thanks everyone, in that case I’ll bin them. It grows fast enough that I’ll have more stems in no time at all. Strange how it’s only affected a couple of stems and no other ludwigia in the tank. I also have a lid of ludwigia oval is in there doing great.

cheers

Conor

That has absolutely nothing to do with any 'damage' done by any nematode/bacteria. Such leaf curling has been reported many times for ludwigia and rotala species growing either in hardwater or under EI dosing. I have faced similar situation as well. Some says it's CO2 deficiency, trust me it's not. I got to improve my plants in software and under lean dosing. Whether it's the hard water or excess of any nutrient or the combination of both- I don't know yet.

Hi guys,

cheers

Conor View attachment 131050View attachment 131051
@Conort2 did you find the issue?
I’m experiencing exactly the same symptoms.
I have doubled the CO2 injection rate to make sure I have 1 ph drop consistently and repositioned the pumps to improve water circulation. Seemed initially that it helped but after replanting tops it happened again.

I found one interesting discussion here Ludwigia let's hang their leaves

My Fe weakly dose is:
  • EDTA 0.4ppm
  • DTPA 0.4ppm
  • EDDHA 0.12ppm

aquarium baseline PH is 8.2 after CO2 injection it drops to 7.2. So EDTA renders useless..
This issue happens no matter if plan is shaded or not.
GH is 15 and KH is 10
Lights are superfish slim led 74 at 60%

Attachments

• DB215463-D4FD-4328-A60E-CB314FBDD9FB.jpeg
    DB215463-D4FD-4328-A60E-CB314FBDD9FB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 468
  • F158DFCD-3EA4-4BDE-80AC-0E50AC223728.jpeg
    F158DFCD-3EA4-4BDE-80AC-0E50AC223728.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Back