• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lubricate filter o-ring: WD40?

GillesF

Hello

Can you use WD40 to lubricate the filter parts? Or is it toxic to fish/bad for the filter parts?
I've used vaseline before but it tends to harden on some parts.

Cheers
Gilles

HI Gilles
I wouldn't use it myself, I would try something like Vaseline/petroleum jelly.

I wouldn't risk wd40 myself, ive used vaseline for years although I found out on this forum that its not advised due to it degrading the rubber

Get some silicone grease from your local plumbing merchant. It's dirt cheap, and is manufactured for the purpose of lubricating rubber seals in drinking water pipes ie. non toxic.

Good old Vaseline is what I use and it's always been just fine...leave the O ring in the pot overnight, rub dry with kitchen towel, et voilà!

So does a small drop of washing up liquid, if we're talking about the filter head sealing ring. Vaseline will degrade rubber and latex just like sa80mark says.

I use vegetable oil on Q-tip.

I need to lubricate some moving parts that are hard to reach so a spray would be easier. I'll have a a look at the local DIY shop for a silicon spray.
Thanks all!

I got to oil sprays: silicon oil & mineral oil.

Used the silicon oil on the rubber, working as new now!

Back