• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-tech stem plants recommendation?

Hi
Pogostemon stellatus 'Octopus'(Pogostemon quadrifolius) is a beautiful narrow leaf rampant grower.
+1 for Limnophila sessiliflora but also Limnophila hererophilla is similar looking but more rampant growing plant.
Regards Konstantin

udwigia repens , Hygrophila 53B are two that I currently keep and grow fine without co2.

Also Liknophilla sessiflora, Hygrophila Difformis
They're all excellent options and my go to low-energy stems.

Low tech Dutch style, mmm. Ludwigia repens definitely, lobelia cardinals, Ludwigia super red, Blyxa japonica, alternanthera reineckii will all work well low tech. Plus all the other plants mentioned above.

Low tech Dutch style, mmm. Ludwigia repens definitely, lobelia cardinals, Ludwigia super red, Blyxa japonica, alternanthera reineckii will all work well low tech. Plus all the other plants mentioned above.
AR and Blyxia japonica are difficult, even in high tech. Ludwigia repens is easy, L super red more difficult. I wonder if you have high light to find them easy in low tech.

Cheers everyone! will try AR, Ludwigia repens and Hygrophila 53b. Any Rotalas recommended?

I wonder if you have high light to find them easy in low tech.
No definitely not high light and certainly not suggesting they are easy to grow lowtech. Just saying they can be grown in these conditions.

With lower light you'll still get some lower leaf loss on the AR, upping the light for me caused full on leaf melt in the bottom 3rd of the plant and also lead to upper leaves becoming twisted and distorted.

You won't achieve the lush compact growth in lowtech and the red colouration will be more browny red. Will look a bit like this.
20210328_175005.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers everyone! will try AR, Ludwigia repens and Hygrophila 53b. Any Rotalas recommended?
Rotala rotundifolia grows really fast in my low tech tanks - but the leaves are very small and it is not exciting me. I’ve taken most of it out now since my tanks are small and replaced it with things which are more interesting. I gave bolbitis a go on the recommendation of others on here and it is growing a treat for me - I have it glued to little pebbles and can pretend it’s a stem plant 🙂

It really depends on what you are calling "low tech" I assume you mean no C02 and below 12w lighting??? I have been running low tech dutch for years so have some great recommendations but would need to know your lighting max Watts and tank depth to support best.

Low Watt lighting can allow alot of good plants to grow, but it depends on tank depth.

It really depends on what you are calling "low tech" I assume you mean no C02 and below 12w lighting???
No CO2 with 20w lighting, 37 litres (w50xl25xh30) aquarium.

After reading replies, here are the plants I’m going to order:
Alternanthera reineckii
Ludwigia repens
Limnophila aquatica
Rotala macranda or rotundifolia
Hygrophila 53b

No CO2 with 20w lighting, 37 litres (w50xl25xh30) aquarium.

After reading replies, here are the plants I’m going to order:
Alternanthera reineckii
Ludwigia repens
Limnophila aquatica
Rotala macranda or rotundifolia
Hygrophila 53

Hi all plants listed sound great 😊

Your lighting is good for a tank of your size you can get some medium difficulty plants given your setup.

Are you settled on plant choices already or want some further options?

Yep, I’m going to order most of this first and try to plant it in a pot like @Zeus. Pot scape. to see if they survive this condition or not.
Fab well let's us know if you are looking to expand your options for the next round 😊

Just a thought but you might do well with a carpet of Cuba if you wanted. Always liked adding it as the forground plant in my shallower tanks.

You will need to do a fair amount of water changes and dosing though to keep it healthy.

Back